Tony’s style of food is seasonal, simple, unfussy – yet really creative and unique. Ruins offers small plates (but not too small) at reasonable prices. His menu changes every week, and I’ve never been disappointed.
Farro, an ancient grain, originating from the Fertile Crescent -has been found in the tombs of Egyptian kings. Italians have grown and cooked farro for many centuries, and now with the increasing interest in whole grains, farro’s popularity is finally gaining here as well.
It is locally grown in the Pacific Northwest by Lentz Farms. A great addition to salads and soups, it can be used in place of rice in most recipes. Much higher in nutrients and fiber than rice, farro is a wholesome grain worth trying.
Radish Top Pesto is made with combining radish tops (or arugula) almonds, olive oil, Parmesan, garlic and lemon. There is no other way to describe this other than, totally brilliant. You could put this on anything.
Enjoy Tony’s recipe for Farro Risotto!Print
Acorn Squash w/ Farro Risotto and Radish Top Pesto
Farro Risotto with roasted acorn squash and Radish Top Pesto- a delicious vegetarian main course, perfect for fall! Sub arugula for the radish tops if need be!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: vegetarian Main
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Northwest
- 2 C dry farro
- 4 C water or stock
- 3 T butter
- 4 T grated reggiano cheese
- 1 Cup stock
- 1 Acorn squash
- 1 T olive oil
- pinch salt, pepper and cayenne
- 1 C radish leaves packed ( or sub arugula)
- 2 Cloves garlic
- ⅓ C oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- ¼ C Parmesan
- ¼ C toasted almonds
- handful of bitter greens for garnish ( mizuna, arugula)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Slice acorn squash, into 4 rings, ¾ inch thick, remove seeds. Brush sides with olive oil, Sprinkle with salt, pepper and a dash cayenne, and bake on a baking sheet for 35 minutes.
- Bring farro, water ( or stock) and butter to a boil in a medium pot. Once boiling, cover, and simmer on low for 25 minutes, or until water has evaporated.
- Make the radish top pesto -pulse all ingredients -radish tops or arugula, garlic, oil, salt, lemon juice, Parmesan and toasted almonds– in a food processor until combined ( don’t blend too smooth, leave a little granular).
- Make the risotto- once farro is cooked, add 1 cup stock and simmer over medium heat, until warmed through, add cheese, stir, and adjust salt.
- To assemble, place an acorn squash ring on a plate, fill with risotto, top with pesto, and scatter bitter greens around the plate.
- Calories: 576
Keywords: farro risotto, farro recipes, farro risotto recipes