Farro Risotto with roasted acorn squash and Radish Top Pesto- a delicious vegetarian main course, perfect for fall! Sub arugula for the radish tops if need be!
- 2 cups dry farro
- 2–3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan or pecorino
- 1/2 cup veggie broth
Roasted Acorn Squash
Radish Top Pesto
- 1 cup radish leaves packed ( or sub arugula or basil leaves)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds
Garnish: handful of bitter greens for garnish (mizuna, arugula)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F
- Slice acorn squash, into 4 rings, ¾ inch thick, remove seeds. Brush sides with olive oil, Sprinkle with salt, pepper and a dash of cayenne, and bake on a parchement-lined baking sheet for 25-30 minutes, until fork tender.
- Place farro in a medium pot and cover with an 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover, and simmer on low until tender. Drain. (Allow 15- 20 minutes for pearled farro, 20 to 30 minutes for semi-pearled farro and up to 45 minutes for whole farro.) If overcooked, soak in ice-cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Make the radish top pesto -pulse all ingredients -radish tops or arugula, garlic, oil, salt, lemon juice, Parmesan and toasted almonds– in a food processor until combined ( don’t blend too smooth, leave a little granular).
- Make the risotto. Once the farro is tender and drained, add it back into the pot, add the butter, stock and simmer over medium heat, until warmed through, add cheese, stir, and adjust salt and pepper to taste. For a looser consistency, add more broth as needed.
- To assemble, place an acorn squash ring on a plate, fill with risotto, top with the pesto, and scatter bitter greens around the plate. Enjoy!
The pesto can be made ahead and the farro can cooked ahead.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 576
- Sugar: 1.4 g
- Sodium: 463.5 mg
- Fat: 32 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 7.6 g
- Cholesterol: 7.2 mg
Keywords: farro risotto, farro recipes, farro risotto recipes