The moment we judge someone, we blind ourselves to who they are.
Summer felt as though it would last forever, but here it is already — October! Fiery shades of red and yellow line the streets, the trees seem to glow from within. Yet the leaves still cleave to the branches, holding out for a few more days.
This recipe for Roasted Cauliflower Salad with kale, farro and turmeric dressing is an easy segue into fall. It can be served warm as a side dish, or chilled as a hearty salad. It tastes great the second and third day, as its flavors have time to marinate and meld.The earthy turmeric dressing has a pleasant sweetness from the addition of maple syrup that can be played up even more with golden raisins. I think you’ll enjoy this one.
Cauliflower and kale are natural companions, and the addition of Farro (or any cooked grain) gives this dish an extra heartiness, turning it into a meal. If going grain free, substitute chickpeas or cooked lentils.
Cut the cauliflower into florets, toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in a 400 F oven for 40 minutes. While it’s roasting mix up the simple turmeric dressing and hope the kale.
When the cauliflower is roasted and tender, place it in bowl and fold in the chopped kale, scallions, the cooked farro and gently toss with the dressing.
Serve it right away as a warm comforting side dish, or place it in the fridge to chill. This can be made a day ahead.
Hope you are having a beautiful week!
Roasted Cauliflower with Farro, Kale and Turmeric Dressing
A fall salad of roasted cauliflower, farro and kale with a turmeric dressing — can be served warm as a side or chill and serve as a salad.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Salad / Side
- Cuisine: Northwest
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 cups chopped Lacinato kale (or baby kale)
- 1 cup cooked farro (or grain of your choice, or garbanzo beans)
- ½ teaspoon salt, pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ up golden raisins (optional)
- ⅓ cup chopped scallions (optional)
- Turmeric Dressing
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- cracked pepper
- 1 clove finely minced or grated garlic
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Trim leaves off cauliflower, and cut into florets. Place in medium bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt and a few twists of cracked pepper. Mix well and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast in the oven until tender, about 40 minutes, giving a stir halfway through.
- Place the kale, farro, scallions and raisins in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing: combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Once the cauliflower is fork tender, add to the bowl and mix with kale and farro. Pour dressing over and mix until combined. Serve the salad warm, or chill for later. It’s good either way.