Zucchini Hummus- a luscious, creamy, bean-free zucchini dip, similar to hummus or baba ganoush made with zucchini, garlic and tahini paste– without the eggplant or chickpeas! A great way to use up your mountain of zucchini! Vegan and Gluten-Free.
Good morning! Zucchini Hummus is on the menu today! It’s basically the same basic idea as Baba Ganoush, the smoky Middle Eastern eggplant dip– but made with zucchini instead.
Grilled or roasted, the zucchini is pureed with fresh garlic cloves, lemon juice, herbs and tahini paste. You can even substitute avocado for the sesame paste!
Simple and fast, it can be served warm or cold. Use it to dip soft grilled pita bread, or spread it in a wrap with grilled meat or veggies. It makes for a delicious, gluten-free, low carb, vegan spread, dip or side.
How to make Zucchini Hummus! | A 30-second Video
If you are using mammoth-sized zucchini, you may not want to use the tough skin. Halve them and roast them well, then scoop out the tender flesh. With smaller sized zucchini, the skin is thin and easily blended up.
If grilling, give them ample grill marks and wrap up in foil after, to let them steam and soften up a bit.
Then place all the ingredients in the food processor and puree.
Add fresh herbs if you like….I like adding mint and/ or flat-leaf parsley, but know that it tastes good without the herbs too. The herbs also add a bit of color which is always a plus in my book.
Serve with warm homemade pita bread, or with vegetables. Or spread it in a wrap with grilled veggies or meat.
More Zucchini Recipes:
- Zucchini Noodles with Garlic and basil
- Kung Pao Zucchini
- Zucchini Rolls
- Zucchini Basil Soup
- Zucchini Corn and Basil Stir Fry
- Greek Zucchini Fritters
- 1 ½ lbs zucchini- grilled or roasted
- 2–3 cloves garlic
- ⅛ cup lemon juice- plus more to taste
- ¼ cup tahini paste ( or sub ½ an avocado)
- ½ tsp kosher salt, more to taste
- ½ tsp cracked pepper
- ¼ cup or more fresh herbs ( optional) flat-leaf parsley, mint, basil, or a combo
- For extra creaminess, add a couple of tablespoons of yogurt!
- Cut zucchini into ½ inch thick strips, brush with a little olive oil and grill on medium heat until charred and tender. Place in foil for a few minutes to let them steam and get more tender. (Alternately zucchini may be roasted in the oven until tender. If you have very large zucchini with thick skin, you can half it lengthwise, roast in the oven and then scoop out the flesh, leaving the skin out, if necessary)
- Place the grilled zucchini along with the rest of the ingredients in a food processor, and puree until relatively smooth. If you roasted the zucchini you could try adding a little smoked paprika to give it a little smokiness if you like. Taste and adjust salt to taste.
- Place it in a bowl, making a little circular “well” using a spoon, and drizzle a little olive oil in the well. sprinkle with Zaatar or Dukkah, serve either warm or chilled.
You can also roast the zucchini, instead of grill, but the grill does impart a nice smoky flavor.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 72
- Sugar: 0.8 g
- Sodium: 148 mg
- Fat: 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.7 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 1.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Zucchini Dip, Zucchini Hummus, zucchini hummus recipe, zucchini recipes, vegan zucchini recipe, best zucchini recipes