Good morning! Zucchini Hummus is on the menu today, with special thanks to Linda, my massage therapist who gave me this great idea. She always tells me, in her lovely South African voice, all the delicious things she’s been cooking at home and by the time our session is over, I’m salivating and all I want to do is eat. Anyways, I’m head-over-heels in love with this. Such a great way to use up all the zucchini you’ve been growing in your garden.
It’s basically the same basic idea as Baba Ganoush, the smoky Middle Eastern eggplant dip– but made with zucchini instead. Grilled or roasted, the zucchini is pureed with fresh garlic cloves, lemon juice, herbs and tahini paste. Simple and fast, it can be served warm or cold. Use it to dip soft grilled pita bread, or spread it in a wrap with grilled meat or veggies. It makes for a delicious, gluten free, low carb, vegan side.
If you are looking for more zucchini ideas …here are a couple other zucchini recipes I’ve posted before, that you may enjoy.
|Rustic Zucchini Tian|
|Pickled Summer Squash|
If you are using mammoth sized zucchini, you may not want to use the tough skin. Halve them and roast them well, then scoop out the tender flesh. With smaller sized zucchini, the skin is thin and easily blended up.
If grilling, give them ample grill marks and wrap up in foil after, to let them steam and soften up a bit.
Then place all the ingredients in the food processor and puree.
Add fresh herbs if you like….I like adding mint and/ or flat leaf parsley, but know that it tastes good without the herbs too. The herbs also add a bit of color which is always a plus in my book.
Serve with warm pita, or vegetables. Or spread it in a wrap with grilled veggies or meat.
This grilled zucchini dip is vegan, gluten free and bean free!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 2 Cups
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 1 ½ lbs zucchini- grilled or roasted
- 2-3 Cloves garlic
- ⅛ C lemon juice- plus more to taste
- ¼ C tahini ( sesame paste)
- ½ tsp kosther salt, more to taste
- ½ tsp cracked pepper
- ¼ C or more fresh herbs ( optional) flat leaf parsley, mint or both
- 1 T olive oil- Garnish ( optional)
- Cut zucchini into ½ inch thick strips, brush with a little olive oil and grill on medium heat until charred and tender. Place in foil for a few minutes to let them steam and get more tender. (Alternately zucchini may be roasted in the oven until tender. If you have very large zucchini with thick skin, you can half it lengthwise, roast in the oven and then scoop out the flesh, leaving the skin out, if necessary)
- Place the grilled zucchini along with the rest of the ingredients ( except the oil) in a food processor, and puree until relatively smooth. If you roasted the zucchini you could try adding a little smoked paprika to give it a little smokiness if you like. Serve it in a bowl, making a little circular “well” using a spoon, and drizzle a little olive oil in the well. Serve either warm or chilled.