A flavorful, healthy Zucchini Basil Soup, with luscious smooth texture. Keep it vegan or swirl in a little yogurt at the end. Easy and fast!Quick and delicious Zucchini Basil Soup, can be made in 20 minutes flat!
There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart. ~ Jane Austen~
Do you have a few stray zucchini hiding in your fridge that you’ve been putting off using? We did, and this is what became of them last night.
This simple, fast and healthy recipe for Zucchini Basil Soup requires very few ingredients and can made in 20 minutes flat. It’s vegan and full-flavored, my favorite kind of recipe. Try it with basil– or for adventurous palates, try it with fresh mint –a unique, delicious twist.
Keep it vegan, or for heartier appetites, swirl in a little plain Greek yogurt or sour cream at the end. You could also top with crunchy croutons. The zucchini gives the soup a luscious silky quality that is really pleasant on the palate. Serve it with crusty bread and a salad….and dinner is ready!
Zucchini Basil soup
A flavorful, healthy Zucchini Basil Soup, with luscious smooth texture. Keep it vegan or swirl in a little yogurt at the end. Easy and fast!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 2-3
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Northwest
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ pounds sliced zucchini ( about 3 med-large zucchini)
- 2 cups water or veggie stock
- ¾ tsp salt, more to taste
- cracked pepper to taste
- ½ tsp white vinegar
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed, plus more for garnish ( or sub fresh mint, or cilantro)
- garnish: plain yogurt or sour cream ( optional)
- In a medium pot, heat oil over med-high heat. Add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes until just tender.
- Add chopped garlic, turn heat to medium low, and continue sauteeing for 3-4 minutes, until garlic is fragrant and golden.
- Add sliced zucchini and water ( or stock), salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat, cover, turn heat down to med-low, and simmer 15 minutes, giving a stir halfway through.
- After 15 minutes check to see that zucchini is translucent and fork tender.
- Blend in batches until very smooth,adding the fresh basil directly into the blender with the soup–being careful to cover blender lid with a kitchen towel, holding down firmly, to prevent a blender explosion. See note.
- Return to the pot. Stir in vinegar, adjust salt if necessary.
- Serve in bowls, garnish with basil ribbons. For extra richness add a swirl of plain yogurt, or sour cream,
- NOTE: Always be careful blending hot soup in a blender, fill only halfway full and start on lowest speed, increasing gradually. Hold lid down as hard as you can with a kitchen towel.
Keywords: zucchini basil soup, zucchini soup, zucchini soup recipes, vegan zucchini soup