This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
A flavorful, healthy Zucchini Basil Soup, with luscious smooth texture. Keep it vegan or swirl in a little yogurt at the end. Easy and fast!Quick and delicious Zucchini Basil Soup, can be made in 20 minutes flat!
There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart. ~ Jane Austen~
Do you have a few stray zucchini hiding in your fridge that you’ve been putting off using? We did, and this is what became of them last night.
This simple, fast and healthy recipe for Zucchini Basil Soup requires very few ingredients and can made in 20 minutes flat. It’s vegan and full-flavored, my favorite kind of recipe. Try it with basil– or for adventurous palates, try it with fresh mint –a unique, delicious twist.
Keep it vegan, or for heartier appetites, swirl in a little plain Greek yogurt or sour cream at the end. You could also top with crunchy croutons. The zucchini gives the soup a luscious silky quality that is really pleasant on the palate. Serve it with crusty bread and a salad….and dinner is ready!
For more inspiration, here are few more Zucchini recipes to try: Zucchini Hummus, Rustic Zucchini Tian, and Zucchini Fritters
Zucchini Basil soup
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 2-3 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Northwest
A flavorful, healthy Zucchini Basil Soup, with luscious smooth texture. Keep it vegan or swirl in a little yogurt at the end. Easy and fast!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 pounds sliced zucchini ( about 3 med-large zucchini)
- 2 cups water or veggie stock
- 3/4 tsp salt, more to taste
- cracked pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed, plus more for garnish ( or sub fresh mint, or cilantro)
- garnish: plain yogurt or sour cream ( optional)
- In a medium pot, heat oil over med-high heat. Add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes until just tender.
- Add chopped garlic, turn heat to medium low, and continue sauteeing for 3-4 minutes, until garlic is fragrant and golden.
- Add sliced zucchini and water ( or stock), salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat, cover, turn heat down to med-low, and simmer 15 minutes, giving a stir halfway through.
- After 15 minutes check to see that zucchini is translucent and fork tender.
- Blend in batches until very smooth,adding the fresh basil directly into the blender with the soup–being careful to cover blender lid with a kitchen towel, holding down firmly, to prevent a blender explosion. See note.
- Return to the pot. Stir in vinegar, adjust salt if necessary.
- Serve in bowls, garnish with basil ribbons. For extra richness add a swirl of plain yogurt, or sour cream,
- NOTE: Always be careful blending hot soup in a blender, fill only halfway full and start on lowest speed, increasing gradually. Hold lid down as hard as you can with a kitchen towel.
- Serving Size: Without yogurt
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 6.9 g
- Sodium: 880.6 mg
- Fat: 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: zucchini basil soup, zucchini soup, zucchini soup recipes, vegan zucchini soup
Easy and delicious!
This soup was so simple to make and perfect for the summer squash season! I enjoyed how creamy it was without dairy. The basil flavor really comes through, as well. I used zucchini from my garden but didn’t quite have 1.5 lbs. Fortunately, we had some leftover grilled patty pan squash in the fridge. I threw that in towards the end of the pre-blend simmer. The grill flavor from the patty pan added something! I also added a sugar rush peach pepper that added a deep heat. It was a perfect accompaniment to a panzanella salad for dinner.
Could you serve this cold?
Is the fresh basil cooked at all?
Yes, it is slightly cooked.
Thank you, the soup is lovely in texture and taste! The only aspect I couldn’t reproduce was the super-gorgeous vibrant green color in your pics – mine was a brown khaki. I used farm-fresh basil and yellow zucchini.
I weighed the basil, since the amount can change depending in how much you pack in the leaves. The basil weighed 1.5oz – is that similar to what you use? .
Hi Linda- I think it is because of the yellow zucchini. I used green for the photos. Just a little tip- if you ever want to boost the green vibrancy of this soup- or any soup really (one that is blended) add a handful of spinach to the blender. It makes things pop plus adds more nutrients. 🙂
Thank you SO much for the helpful reply and tips.
Is this a freezer-friendly recipe? I’d love to make ahead & transport to an upcoming gathering!
Hi Linda- I think freezing this may make it not as vibrant green. Could you make 1-2 days ahead and refrigerate?
Delicious! What a great use of garden produce! Sooo simple, too!
Thanks so much- glad you enjoyed!
I made this with my homemade veggie stock. Good light summer night dinner. Served with a herb dinner roll.
This was very nice … I would make it again using chicken stock instead of water, and with rice wine vinegar. Arugula would make a nice substitute for the basil or cilantro.
Also, I used an immersion stick blender in the pot instead of hauling my countertop blender out of storage.
Leftovers were DELICIOUS as a chilled soup! (especially with a bit of vodka added)
Great to hear Andrew and thanks for you adaptions!
think of the vodka addition as a sort of green Bloody Mary, but without the tomato or Tabasco!
Got it! Love it!
I just made this! I was craving a bowl of comfort and made this recipe as is! I always add a little extra salt and garlic when I follow recipes but that’s just personal preference. I topped it with a vegan cashew sour cream I made, and it was incredible. My husband loved it too! Thank you!
This soup is fantastic! I used a combo of zucchini and yellow squash. Very flavorful!