If you are like me, you’ve probably come close to your fill of zucchini and summer squash for the season. When we get to this point at our house, I know it is time to whip up theses Zucchini Fritters. I’ve discovered, that my husband Brian will anything in the form of a fritter, so that is how these Zucchini Fritters came to be. Seasoned with fresh dill and feta, they are full of flavor and make for delicious vegetarian meal alongside a hearty green salad. And they are not hard to make!
Crispy and flavorful, these fritters whip up fast and are on regular rotation around here. Even our dog Maxx loves these little guys. Yes, I confess we often do feed our dog people food. I know it’s ridiculous, but we do. That being said, Maxx is the pickiest eater in the house, and even he goes a little bonkers for these.
And today as I made and photographed them, he was right there beside me, not begging, he never begs, but with this look that says, “You know you want to give me one of those- don’t you?” and of course I do.
Press as much of the rest of the water out. Blot with paper towels. Get them dry.
Fresh scallions and fresh dill give the fritters good flavor.
Mix in the rest of the ingredients and you will end up with a dryer “batter”, which will be full of good zucchini flavor and texture, and not taste too eggy.
Then place the fritters on a parchment lined sheet pan, or on a wire rack and to finish cooking all the way through in the oven- without letting them get too dark on the outside. You will know they are done in the inside when they start to puff up slightly.
Make your Tzatziki. If you are swimming in Zucchini, Tzatziki can also be made with zucchini instead of the traditional English cucumber.
Tzatziki, a Greek style yogurt sauce is a really refreshing and cool topping for the crispy warm fritters.
Pull the fritters out of the oven and serve warm. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge and reheated, uncovered in a toaster oven and surprisingly will get crispy again. Every time I make zucchini fritters, I often wish I would have made a double batch. They tend to go very quickly.
Plop a dollop of tzatziki on top- and serve with a salad. This can be a light dinner, or hearty lunch.
Or, to serve as a fun appetizer, make much smaller fritters ( 1 1/2 inch in diameter) and top with tzatziki and a fresh sprig of dill -and pierce a mini fork down through the top, for the perfect appetizer bite.
Zucchini Fritters with Dill, Feta and Tzatziki Sauce
How to make Zucchini Fritters! An easy recipe with dill, feta and tzatziki sauce. A Greek spin on our favorite fritters !
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 12 fritters
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Greek
- 1 1/2 lbs small summer squash (about 3 medium zucchini)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 C chopped scallions
- 1/3 C chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 C crumbled feta
- 1 egg
- 1/2 C all purpose flour (or GF flour) or dry brad crumbs
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg
- 1 C Greek whole milk yogurt
- 1 C English cucumber finely diced ( or zucchini)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 T chopped fresh dill or mint
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Using a grater or food processor, grate the zucchini. You need about 4 Cups grated- and placed in a med-sized bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tsp kosher salt, stir well, and let sit for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. This will release the water. Place in a strainer, and using your hand or a spatula, press down firmly to remove as much water as possible. You really want to get these fairly dry.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Place grated zucchini in a bowl, adding dill, scallions, feta, nutmeg, and one egg. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix flour and baking soda together. Add flour mixture to zucchini, incorporating all. This will be a fairly dry batter.
- In a heavy bottom skillet, heat 1-2 T olive oil or butter over medium heat. When oil is hot, drop ping-pong sized balls of the batter. Brown each side until golden about 3 minutes each side, and place in a warm oven- either on a wire rack or on parchment lined sheet pan.
- Make in batches, letting fritters finish at lease 10 minutes in the oven, or until they puff slightly.
- Serve with a dollop of Tzatziki.
- To make Tzatziki, In a medium bowl, mix together all the ingredients. Chill.
- Calories: 257
Keywords: Zucchini Fritters, zucchini fritters recipe,