This Raw Beet Salad is packed full of nutrients. It’s loaded up with fresh raw grated beets, avocado, greens, sprouts, and pumpkin seeds and tossed with a creamy, vegan Cashew Basil Dressing.
What I love about this Beet Salad
- The beets are RAW! Fresh raw grated beets have so much flavor and beautiful texture.
- High nutrients! My body feels energized and alive when I eat this salad!
- The Creamy Basil Cashew Dressing is seriously good- AND it’s vegan!
- Pickled shallots (or pickled onions) or sauerkraut! all add a nice acidity
Health Benefits of Beets
Raw, juiced, steamed or roasted, beets are a superfood containing powerful antioxidants, phytochemicals and polyphenols that keep us healthy and young!
Beets are high in betaine which acts as a methyl donor. Methylation is a process that switches on “good, healthy” genes, and/or switches off “unhealthy” genes infuluencing whether they are expressed or suppressed- very important in our celular health.
Ingredients in Raw Beet Salad
- Beets- red, yellow or Chioggia, grated
- Greens- arugula, baby kale, power greens
- Pumpkin seeds
- Pickled shallots-or sub pickled onions or kraut
- Cashew Basil Dressing
The pickled shallots and Cashew Basil Dressing really elevate this salad!
Feel free to toss the salad, or keep components separate.
This Raw beet salad is tasty on its own, but if you are looking for extra protein feel free to add:
More Beet recipes you may like:
- Beet Tzatziki
- Farro Salad with Beets and their Tops
- Beet, Lentil and Spinach Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
- Beet Bliss Bowl
- Delicious Beet Salad Recipe with Feta & Pistachios
- Poke Beets!
Creamy Cashew Basil Dressing (serves 6)
- 1/3 cup raw cashews, soaked in water until soft (see notes)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves (or substitute Italian parsley or mix of both)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Raw Beet Salad – SERVES 2
- 3–4 ounces greens- spinach, arugula, baby kale, spring mix.
- 1 medium beet, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup microgreens or fresh sprouts (sunflower sprouts are nice here)
- optional additions– pickled shallots, or sauerkraut, cherry tomatoes, grated carrots, radishes, chickpeas,
- Make the pickled shallots if using: Place shallot, vinegar, water, salt, sugar in a small pot over high heat. Bring to a simmer for a couple minutes, then set aside and let cool, or refrigerate.
- Make Cashew Basil Dressing. Place olive oil, garlic, lemon, salt in the blender, add the cashews and continue pulsing until smooth. Add the basil. Taste, adjust lemon, adding more if necessary. Set aside, and assemble salads.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss greens, beets and pumpkin seeds lightly with some of the dressing (you won’t need all). Toss in some pickled shallots (or ½ cup sauerkraut), and gently fold in the avocado. Taste for salt, adjusting as necessary.
- Divide among bowls.
- Top the dressed greens with fresh sprouts and more pumpkin seeds if you like.
Soak 1/3 cup raw cashews in cold water on the counter until softened for 6-12 hours to achieve a creamy texture. Drain. They will swell, and you’ll have 1/2 cup- use all!
TIP: For a quick alternative, simmer cashews in a small pot of water on the stove for 15-20 minutes, rinse with cold water, drain.
Salad serves 2 ( as mains) and dressing serves 6.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 369
- Sugar: 4.2 g
- Sodium: 348.7 mg
- Fat: 33.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.2 g
- Fiber: 7.3 g
- Protein: 8.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Beet salad, raw beet salad, vegan beet salad, beet salad recipe, healthy beet salad, power salad, vegan power salad