Truly one of the most delicious salads- Beet Salad with Feta and Pistachios! Red and golden beets are tossed with pistachios, cubes of feta, cilantro and orange zest in a simple citrus vinaigrette. This can be made ahead and kept for 3 days in the fridge. Perfect for special gatherings – a beautiful addition to the holiday table.
Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside awakens.~ Carl Jung
This beautiful Beet Salad with crumbled feta cheese & pistachios would be stunning on your holiday table. But it also works wonderfully for mid-week lunches! Meal-prep this delicious salad ahead, and it will keep 3-4 days in the fridge. A nice treat for yourself!
Not only are beets earthy, sweet and full of flavor, but beets are also a powerhouse of nutrients! They are full of powerful antioxidants, they lower blood pressure and reduce inflammation. If you looking for new ways to incorporate beets in the kitchen, take a look at our 20 Best Beet Recipes– you’ll find some delicious inspiration here!
What I love about this salad, is that it can be made in 45 minutes.
Beet Salad | 60-sec video
What you’ll need:
- beets (red, golden, or a mix) cooked, peeled and diced (about 4 1/2 cups diced)
- red onion
- garlic clove
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar (or Apple Cider or Champagne Vinegar)
- an orange – zest and juice
- craisins ( or sub-dried currants)
- salt and pepper
- fresh cilantro- or sub-Italian parsley, basil, mint or dill (or a mix)
- feta cheese , cut into cubes
- Optional Garnish: For a festive twist you could top with pomegranate seeds!
How to make Beet Salad
It starts with cooking the beets and of course, you can do this ahead and refrigerate until ready to make the salad.
I used my Instant Pot, and set the pressure to high for 16 minutes, then naturally released and put them in the fridge, making the salad the next day.
How to cook Beets: (Do this ahead!)
- FASTEST: Pressure Cook! Use an Instant Pot to steam beets. Place the steamer basket in the Instant pot with 1 cup of water in the bottom, set to pressure High for 16 minutes for 3-inch diameter beets. Cut extra-large beets in half. Naturally, release.
- 2nd Fastest: Boil beets in a big pot, totally submerged in salted water until fork-tender. 30-50 minutes, depending on size. Cut extra-large beets oil half for faster cooking.
- Steam Beets in a big pot on the stovetop, using a steamer basket. 35-55 minutes, depending on size. Again, I like to cut bigger beets in half for faster cooking.
- Roast Beets in a 425 oven. Oil, salt & pepper them, wrapped in foil or place in a baking dish or baking sheet, covered in foil, and bake 45-65 mins depending on size.
- Take your pick. 🙂
TIP: This Beet Salad with Feta is extra beautiful using all golden beets. I used both here, but golden beets will lose their color when mixed with red beets. For the photos I added the golden beets over the red, to preserve their color for the photos.
Cut the feta into cubes.
I used a block of sheep’s milk feta here, rather than using crumbled, and sliced it into ½ inch cubes.
Feta holds its shape well in the salad!
Add finely chopped red onion and ½ half a bunch of cilantro. ( If you have an aversion to cilantro, fresh mint or Italian parsley works here too.)
The secret ingredient that brings this salad to life is the addition of orange- both its zest and juice!
Then add pistachios and craisins- which give it great flavor & texture!
To make it extra festive, top with pomegranate seeds.
This Beet Salad with Feta will keep 3-4 days in a salad container in the fridge.
I hope you enjoy it and let us know what you think in the comments below!
Other Recipes you might enjoy!
- Raw Beet Salad with Basil Cashew Dressing
- Heirloom Tomato, Beet and Burrata Salad with Basil Oil
- Beet, Lentil and Spinach Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
- Farro Salad with Beets and their Tops
- Beet Orange and Fennel Salad
- 2O Fresh Beet Recipes
- Make-Ahead Vegan Salads
Have the BEST day,
Truly one of the most beautiful and delicious Beet Salads with Pistachios, Feta, cilantro and orange in a simple citrus vinaigrette. Can be made ahead and kept for 3 days in the fridge. Steam the beets ahead and the salad comes together in 20 minutes!
- 1 1/2 pounds beets (red, golden, or a mix) cooked, peeled and diced (see notes)
- 1/3 cup red onion, very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced, use a garlic press
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or Apple Cider or Champagne Vinegar)
- 1 orange (2 tablespoons zest and 4 tablespoons juice)
- 1/2– 1 cup craisins ( or sub-dried currants)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped, tender stems OK ( or sub some mint, Italian parsley, basil)
- 1/2 –1 cup pistachios
- 1 cup feta, cut into cubes
- Optional Garnish: For a festive twist you could top with pomegrante seed!
- Boil, roast or steam beets until fork tender (See notes-you can do this ahead and refrigerate, or purchase steamed beets). Trim and rub under cool running water to remove skin. Dice into small, 1/2 inch cubes. Place in a large bowl.
- Add diced onion, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, orange zest and orange juice, craisins, salt and pepper and mix to combine well. Add cilantro, pistachios and feta. Gently toss.
- Taste, add more pistachios, craisins or feta to taste. Adjust salt and pepper. Sometimes I’ll add another squeeze of orange juice.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with cilantro.
- Lately I like using my Instant Pot to steam beets ahead ( like the day before). Place the steamer basket in the Insant pot with 1 cup of water in the bottom, set to pressure High for 16 minutes for 3 inch diameter beets. Cut extra-large beets in half. Naturally release. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- You can always boil beets in a big pot, totally submerged in water or steam them in a big pot on the stovetop, using a steamer basket. Again, I like to cut bigger beets in half for faster cooking. Of course, they can be roasted in the oven as well. ( 425F, oiled, salted & peppered, wrapped in foil or in a baking dish covered in foil, or in a dutch oven 45-65 mins depending on size. ) Take your pick.
This salad is beautiful using all golden beets. I used both here, but golden beets will lose their color when mixed with red beets. For the photos I added the golden beets over the red, to preserve their color for the photos.
If you opt to leave the dried cranberries out you may need to balance this with a little sweetness- a small spoonful of maple syrup may do it!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 214
- Sugar: 12.9 g
- Sodium: 212.7 mg
- Fat: 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.9 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
- Cholesterol: 16.7 mg
Keywords: beet salad, beet and feta salad, beet and pistachio salad, beet salad with feta, the best beet salad,