Truly one of the most delicious salads- Beet Salad with Feta and Pistachios! Red and golden beets are tossed with pistachios, cubes of feta, cilantro and orange zest in a simple citrus vinaigrette. This can be made ahead and keeps for 3 days in the fridge. Perfect for special gatherings – a beautiful addition to the holiday table.
Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside awakens.~ Carl Jung
Happy Holidays friends! Here’s a little number that would be beautiful on your holiday table – Beet Salad with Feta & Pistachios. But it also works wonderfully for mid-week lunches! Meal-prep this salad ahead and it will keep 3-4 days in the fridge!
This is something we like to do at home – prep a couple of salads ahead, just to have on hand for quick healthy lunches or fresh dinner sides.
What I love about this salad, is that once the beets are cooked, it only takes about 20 minutes to make!
It starts with cooking the beets and of course, you can do this ahead and refrigerate until ready to make the salad. I used my Instant Pot, and set the pressure to high for 16 minutes, then naturally released and put them in the fridge, making the salad the next day.
How to cook Beets: (Do this ahead!)
- FASTEST: Pressure Cook! Use an Instant Pot to steam beets. Place the steamer basket in the Instant pot with 1 cup of water in the bottom, set to pressure High for 16 minutes for 3-inch diameter beets. Cut extra-large beets in half. Naturally, release.
- 2nd Fastest: Boil beets in a big pot, totally submerged in salted water until fork-tender. 30-50 minutes, depending on size. Cut extra-large beets oil half for faster cooking.
- Steam Beets in a big pot on the stovetop, using a steamer basket. 35-55 minutes, depending on size. Again, I like to cut bigger beets in half for faster cooking.
- Roast Beets in a 425 oven. Oil, salt & pepper them, wrapped in foil or place in a baking dish covered in foil, and bake 45-65 mins depending on size.
- Take your pick. 🙂
TIP: This Beet Salad with Feta is extra beautiful using all golden beets. I used both here, but golden beets will lose their color when mixed with red beets. For the photos I added the golden beets over the red, to preserve their color for the photos.
I used a block of sheep’s milk feta here, rather than using crumbled, and sliced it into ½ inch cubes.
Feta holds its shape well in the salad!
Add finely chopped red onion and ½ half a bunch of cilantro. ( If you have an aversion to cilantro, fresh mint or Italian parsley works here too.)
But the secret ingredient that brings this salad to life is the addition of orange- both its zest and juice!
The Pistachios and craisins give it great flavor & texture!
This Beet Salad with Feta will keep 3-4 days in a salad container in the fridge.
I hope you enjoy it and let us know what you think in the comments below!
For more make-ahead salads….. be sure to visit this post: Make-Ahead Vegan Salads!
Have the BEST holidays!!!
Beet Salad with Pistachios and Feta
Truly one of the most beautiful and delicious Beet Salads with Pistachios, Feta, cilantro and orange in a simple citrus vinaigrette. Can be made ahead and keeps for 3 days in the fridge. Steam the beets ahead and the salad come together in 20 minutes!
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: salad, vegetarain
- Method: tossed
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 1 1/2 lbs red and/or golden beets, cooked, peeled and diced (see notes)
- 1/3 cup red onion, very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced, use a garlic press
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or Apple Cider or Champagne Vinegar)
- 1 orange (2 tablespoons zest and 4 tablespoons juice)
- 1/2– 1 cup craisins ( or sub dried currants)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped, tender stems OK
- 1/2 –1 cup pistachios
- 1 cup feta, cut into cubes
- Optional Garnish: For a festive twist you could top with pomegrante seed!
Boil or steam beets until fork tender (See notes-you can do this ahead and refrigerate, or purchase steamed beets). Trim and rub under cool running water to remove skin. Dice into small, 1/2 inch cubes. Place in a large bowl.
Add diced onion, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, orange zest and orange juice, craisins, salt and pepper and mix to combine well. Add pistachios and feta. Gently toss.
Taste, add more pistachios, craisins or feta to taste. Adjust salt and pepper. Sometimes I’ll add another squeeze of orange juice.
Serve in a bowl and garnish with cilantro.
- Lately I like using my Instant Pot to steam beets ahead ( like the day before). Place the steamer basket in the Insant pot with 1 cup of water in the bottom, set to pressure High for 16 minutes for 3 inch diameter beets. Cut extra-large beets in half. Naturally release. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- You can always boil beets in a big pot, totally submerged in water or steam them in a big pot on the stove top, using a steamer basket. Again, I like to cut bigger beets in half for faster cooking.
- Of course they can be roasted in the oven as well. ( 425F, oiled, salted & peppered, wrapped in foil or in a baking dish covered in foil. 45-65 mins depending on size. )
- Take your pick.
This salad is beautiful using all golden beets. I used both here, but golden beets will loose their color when mixed with red beets. For the photos I added the golden beets over the red, to preserve their color for the photos.
This salad will keep 3-4 days in the fridge. If making ahead, toss in the cilantro and pistachios right before serving, and re-taste for salt and vinegar, adding more if necessary.
If you opt to leave the dried cranberries out you may need to balance this with a little sweetness- a small spoonful of maple syrup may do it!
Keywords: beet salad, beet and feta salad, beet and pistachio salad, beet salad with feta, the best beet salad,