Zucchini Cornbread! A savory zucchini bread infused with Mexican spices, cornmeal, fresh corn, and sharp cheddar cheese, baked in a skillet. A cozy side to stew, soup, and chili. With a Video.
This savory Zucchini Cornbread is comfort food! Combining the last of summer’s bounty with homey nurturing cornmeal is perfect for embracing fall as the weather turns cooler here in the Pacific Northwest.
This cornbread recipe was made by my friend Tonia is a lovely accompaniment to soup, stew or chili, for a hearty cozy meal. I love the crunchy crust that develops from baking in a cast-iron skillet.
Zucchini Cornbread Recipe | Video
How to make Zucchini Cornbread
Mix together the dry and wet ingredients to form a dough. Here I’ve added Mexican spices, fresh corn, and cheddar cheese.
Place it in a buttered skillet and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
When it comes out the house will smell heavenly.
Slice and serve warm.
We hope you enjoy this Zucchini Cornbread – another delicious recipe created by Tonia!
This savory Zucchini cornbread is comfort food! Combining the last of summers bounty with the homey nurturing cornmeal. Perfect for embracing fall as the weather turns cooler here in the Pacific Northwest. This is a lovely accompaniment to soup for a cozy meal. I love the crunchy crust that develops from baking in a cast-iron skillet.
- 10 oz (about 2 cups) grated zucchini
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick ( ½ cup, 4 ounces) butter, unsalted
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup sharp cheddar, grated ( divided)
- 2 eggs, room temperature preferably
- ½ cup buttermilk ( or sub 1/3 cup plain yogurt, plus 3 tablespoons water, stirred)
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- ½ – 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a 10” cast iron skillet, melt butter and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together grated zucchini and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, oregano, cumin, paprika and 3/4 cup grated cheddar. Add the jalapeno, corn and scallions. Mix to combine well.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs, add buttermilk and maple syrup. Pour the cooled, melted butter from the cast iron pan into the egg mixture, a little at a time, whisking as you go. You will be baking the cornbread in the nicely buttered skillet, so don’t clean it out! Brush sides with butter.
- Place salted zucchini in a cheesecloth or clean dish towel and gently squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Add the wet egg mixture to the flour/cornmeal mixture. Ever so gently fold in the zucchini mixing just to combine. It will be quite thick, more like dough than a batter. Carefully press into the skillet, smoothing just enough to even it out. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake on the middle rack for 35-40 minutes, until deeply golden and puffed.
Keywords: zucchini cornbread, savory zucchini bread, zucchini bread recipes, cornbread, cornbread recipes, Mexican cornbread