White Chicken Chili is made with white beans, poblano chilies, cilantro, coriander and lime. Flavorful and healthy, this one-pot meal is hearty and delicious!
This recipe for White Chicken Chili is made with white beans, fresh poblano peppers, cilantro, coriander and lime giving it a delicious mild heat and brightness. Braise the chicken thighs whole in the flavorful cooking liquid, then simply pull apart with two forks before adding the white beans.
Although the cooking time on the stove is about 45- 50 minutes, the actual hands-on time is relatively short. And in the end, you’ll have a healthy, delicious, one-pot meal, made from scratch, perfect for Sunday dinner. . . and lunches thereafter. While the chili is simmering, why not make a batch of skillet corn bread or cornbread muffins to go with the meal?
We’re back home after taking a couple of weeks off, exploring Boston and the coast of Maine. The fall color was absolutely astounding and we were incredibly lucky with the weather – blue skies and sunshine – perfect for kayaking and exploring Acadia National Park. So beautiful! I fell in love with the area. But home is nice too and it feels good to hunker in and get cozy.
Brian lit a fire in the fireplace and is bundled in a blanket watching the game while I putz around the kitchen making this chili and cornbread.
All feels well in the world. I savor these simple moments, grateful when they come, knowing how quickly the tides can change.
Give it a whirl and see what you think. I personally love the flavors. For even more flavor you can always toast whole cumin and coriander seeds and blacken the poblanos over a gas flame, removing the skin. But for ease and time, the recipe is simplified. Feel free to experiment.
If you try this recipe, let me know below!
Happy week, friends!Print
White Chicken Chili Recipe
A flavorful recipe for White Chicken Chili using white beans, fresh poblano peppers, cilantro, coriander and lime.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1–2 poblano peppers, finely diced (or sub 1-2 x 4 ounce cans green chilies – please see notes)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or GF Bragg’s liquid amino acids
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano ( or regular)
- 1 ½ lbs chicken thigh – boneless, skinless
- 3 cups white beans, cooked. ( 2- 3 cans drained –or 1 ½ cups dry, soaked and cooked)
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped, divided
- 2 limes
- Garnishes: cilantro, sour cream, lime, avocado
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and poblano pepper and sauté until tender about 8 minutes.
- Add cumin coriander and chili powder and lightly toast, about 1 minute.
- Add water, scrapping up the brown bits. Turn heat to high.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, oregano and salt.
- Stir, add chicken thighs, whole, and bring to a boil. Cover turn heat to low and keep at a low simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once the chicken is tender, shred into smaller pieces with two forks.
- Add the cooked beans and juice of 1 lime ( you could mash 1 cup of beans). Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat, uncovered for 10 minutes, until it reduces and thickens a bit. Taste, adjust salt and spice level -adding a pinch of chipotle powder or cayenne of you like.
- Stir in half the cilantro and serve.
- Divide among bowls, serve with more cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, avocado, and lime wedges.
- If using canned green chilies, add when you add the chicken, no need to sauté. Fire roasted canned chilies add good flavor, although I prefer the vibrant color of fresh poblanos.
- Calories: 395
Keywords: white chicken chili recipe, best white chicken chili, chicken chili verde , white chili, white bean chili, white bean chili recipes