- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1–2 poblano peppers, finely diced (or sub 1–2 x 4 ounce cans green chilies – please see notes)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or GF Bragg’s liquid amino acids
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano ( or 2 tablespoons fresh)
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts or thighs – boneless, skinless
- 3 cups white beans, cooked. ( 2 x 14-ounce cans, drained –or 1 1/2 cups dry, soaked and cooked.)
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped, divided
- 2 limes
- pinch cayenne or chipotle powder to taste
- Garnishes: cilantro, sour cream, lime, avocado, sliced jalapeno
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and poblano pepper and sauté until tender about 8 minutes.
- Add cumin, coriander and chili powder and lightly toast, for about 1 minute.
- Add broth, scraping up the brown bits. Turn heat to high.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, oregano and salt.
- Stir, add chicken breasts or thighs whole and bring to a boil. Cover turn heat to low and keep at a low simmer for 20-30 minutes, until chicken is coked through and breaks apart easily.
- Once the chicken is tender, shred it into smaller pieces with two forks. (If it is not shredding easily, it may need longer to cook.)
- Add the cooked white beans and juice of 1 lime ( for a thicker consistency you could mash 1 cup of beans). Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat, uncovered for 10 minutes, until it reduces and thickens just a bit. Taste, adjust salt and spice level -adding a pinch of chipotle powder or cayenne of you like.
- Stir in half the cilantro and serve.
- Divide among bowls, serve with more cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, avocado, and lime wedges.
- If using canned green chilies, add when you add the chicken, no need to sauté. Fire-roasted canned chilies add good flavor, although I prefer the vibrant color of fresh poblanos.
- Feel free to add 1-2 cups corn for extra heartiness.
- Feel free to use whole seed cumin and coriander, toasted and ground
- SLOW COOKER: place everything in the slow cooker (including beans) and cook on LOW 7-8 hours or high for 6 hours.
- INSTANT POT: Saute and stir the onion, garlic and fresh poblano chilies (if using) in oil until fragrant, about 4-5 minutes, then add the spices, soy sauce, water or broth, vinegar, salt, oregano, chicken, and canned beans, scraping up any browned bits. Pressure cook on high for 12 minutes. Naturally release 10 minutes. Shred the chicken with two forks, returning it to the pot. Taste for salt, adjusting and adding a pinch of chipotle powder if you like. Stir in half the cilantro and serve with any garnishes.
- Serving Size: 1 ½ cups
- Calories: 313
- Sugar: 3.2 g
- Sodium: 789.3 mg
- Fat: 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.7 g
- Fiber: 7.2 g
- Protein: 33 g
- Cholesterol: 82.7 mg
Keywords: white bean chicken chili recipe, white chicken chili, chicken chili verde , white chili, white bean chili, white bean chili recipes