This Cornbread recipe is homey, delicious, and full of wholesome cornmeal flavor with an irresistible crusty edge. Bake it in a cast-iron skillet or baking dish and it’s ready in just 35 minutes! Perfect for serving with soups, chili’s, stews. Vegan-Adaptable (see recipe notes!).
Be joyful because it is humanly possible. ~
Pure and simple this Cornbread is so homey and delicious. Baking in a cast-iron skillet gives a crusty edge and keeps the interior moist- but know that you can also bake this in a baking dish!
Made with simple pantry ingredients, medium grind cornmeal gives a chewy and hearty texture. If you prefer a smoother cornbread, go for a fine grind.
The key is to preheat the skillet in the oven. Just slide the pan into the oven while the oven heats up. By the time you measure out all your ingredients, the pan is hot and ready to melt the butter. Stir all ingredients together and you’ll have it baking in no time!
What we love about this cornbread recipe
This cornbread recipe is highly adaptable!
- Bake it in a cast-iron skillet, cake pan or baking dish.
- Make it vegan! See recipe notes.
- Swap out milk, or yogurt for the buttermilk.
Ingredients in Cornbread
See recipe notes for the VEGAN Cornbread Recipe
- unsalted butter
- medium grind cornmeal (fine works too)
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- sea salt
- buttermilk (or substitute yogurt or milk)
- See recipe notes for VEGAN Version!
How to Make the Perfect Cornbread
Let heat for at least 8 minutes and then remove the skillet from the oven. Place the butter in the hot skillet stirring around until it melts.
Then pour melted butter from the pan into a bowl. Now your skillet is buttered and warm! The warmed-up pan, along with the coating of butter, will help form a delicious crust on your cornbread while it bakes.
Along with the melted butter, whisk in honey, buttermilk and eggs. Mix fully.
Pour flour mixture into the wet ingredients and gently mix until just combined.
Pour batter into the skillet, spreading out evenly.
Level it out.
Bake at 400 F for 18-20 minutes.
The cornbread is done when the edges begin to pull away from the side of the pan and the center is slightly puffed up.
Can this cornbread be made Vegan?
Yes! See notes in the recipe card for the VEGAN version!
More recipes you may enjoy
What to serve with Skillet Cornbread
- Homemade Instant Pot Chili
- Our Favorite Vegan Chili
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup (Vegan!)
- Smoky Tomato White Bean Soup
- Mediterranean Split Pea Soup
- Cuban Black Bean Soup (Instant Pot w/ Dry Beans)
- Instant Pot Pinto Bean Stew
Freshly baked skillet cornbread doesn’t last long around here! It is always a treat when there is enough left over to toast for breakfast.
Hope you enjoy!Print
This Cornbread recipe is homey, delicious, and full of wholesome cornmeal flavor with an irresistible crusty edge. Bake it in a skillet or baking dish and it’s ready in just 35 minutes! Perfect for serving with soups, chili’s, stews. Vegan-Adaptable (see recipe notes!).
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place a 9-10″ cast iron skillet in the oven. (If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet a round cake pan will do or an 8×8 baking dish.
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- After at least 8 minutes remove the skillet from oven and put the butter in the hot skillet, stir around until it melts. Pour melted butter into a medium bowl, leaving the skillet buttered and warm. This makes a nice crust on your cornbread.
- Along with the melted butter, whisk in honey, buttermilk and eggs. Fully mix.
- Pour flour mixture into the wet ingredients and gently mix until just combined.
- Pour into the buttered skillet, spreading out evenly.
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. The cornbread is done when the edges begin to pull away from the side of the pan and the center is slightly puffed up.
Substitutes for buttermilk: 3/4 cup yogurt & 1/2 cup water or 1 1/4 cup milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Or 3/4 cup sour cream with 1/2 cup water.
Store in an airtight container. Reheat in the oven at 350 F 5-10 minutes.
VEGAN Cornbread Ingredients
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
VEGAN CORNBREAD: Mix dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Mix wet ingredients together in a small bowl. Add wet to dry and stir. Pour batter into a greased skillet or 8×8 inch baking dish. Bake at 400F until puffed and golden for about 20-25 minutes.
Keywords: cornbread recipe, best cornbread recipe, skillet cornbread, vegan cornbread, vegetarian corn bread, perfect cornbread,