This Cornbread recipe is homey, delicious, and full of wholesome cornmeal flavor with an irresistible crusty edge. Bake it in a skillet or baking dish and it’s ready in just 35 minutes! Perfect for serving with soups, chili’s, stews. Vegan-Adaptable (see recipe notes!).
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place a 9-10″ cast iron skillet in the oven. (If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet a round cake pan will do or an 8×8 baking dish.
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- After at least 8 minutes remove the skillet from oven and put the butter in the hot skillet, stir around until it melts. Pour melted butter into a medium bowl, leaving the skillet buttered and warm. This makes a nice crust on your cornbread.
- Along with the melted butter, whisk in honey, buttermilk and eggs. Fully mix.
- Pour flour mixture into the wet ingredients and gently mix until just combined.
- Pour into the buttered skillet, spreading out evenly.
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. The cornbread is done when the edges begin to pull away from the side of the pan and the center is slightly puffed up.
Substitutes for buttermilk: 3/4 cup yogurt & 1/2 cup water or 1 1/4 cup milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Or 3/4 cup sour cream with 1/2 cup water.
Store in an airtight container. Reheat in the oven at 350 F 5-10 minutes.
VEGAN Cornbread Ingredients
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
VEGAN CORNBREAD: Mix dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Mix wet ingredients together in a small bowl. Add wet to dry and stir. Pour batter into a greased skillet or 8×8 inch baking dish. Bake at 400F until puffed and golden for about 20-25 minutes.
Keywords: cornbread recipe, best cornbread recipe, skillet cornbread, vegan cornbread, vegetarian corn bread, perfect cornbread,