Here’s a healthy, delicious recipe for vegan Banana Bread with a toasty Sesame Seed Crust. Infused with ginger, it’s moist and flavorful. Vegan-adaptable and can be made with sourdough starter.
Loaf Pan Prep: (optional, or sub parchment)
- 1 3/4 cups (4 bananas) ripe bananas (see notes)
- 1/3 cup olive oil, coconut, grapeseed oil or other )
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs (or use flax eggs, see notes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (or use freshly grated ginger, 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups (250 grams) flour, all-purpose
Optional tasty additions: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or other nuts), 1 banana (for the top, not too ripe) and brown sugar for sprinkling, 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
Tahini Maple Spread (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Prep Loaf Pan: Oil the sides and bottom of a 9 x 5 loaf pan with a teaspoon of oil. Sprinkle sesame seeds in on top of the oil, and shake pan around so they are coating the bottom and sides fairly evenly. Set pan aside.
- In a large bowl mash the bananas. Add oil, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla and whisk.
- Stir in the salt, baking soda, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, allspice until well blended. Whisk in the flour. Fold in nuts if you like. This will be quite thick.
- Pour into the prepared pan ( see notes for adding whole banana slices to the top) and place on a middle rack in a preheated oven.
- Bake on the middle rack at 350F for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in pan for about 20 minutes. Carefully turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Toast slices of day-old banana bread and lavishly spread with Tahini Maple Spread (optional, but heavenly)
Tahini Maple Spread:
- Mix all ingredients together in small bowl until smooth and creamy.
STARTER: Feel free to use ¾ cup sourdough starter, and reduce the banana by ¾ cup.
Flax Eggs: Mix 2 tablespoons ground flax seed with 6 tablespoons water, and let sit 5 minutes. This makes 2 flax eggs. Use in place of the eggs in this recipe.
TOP: To add sliced banana to the top, cut an unpeeled banana in half lengthwise (not too ripe) remove peel and nestle in the batter. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 17.2 g
- Sodium: 245.2 mg
- Fat: 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 48.1 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Best Banana bread, vegan banana bread, banana bread recipe, sourdough banana bread, vegan banana bread recipe, sourdough discard banana bread