This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Hot and Sour Cabbage Soup with ginger, scallions, sesame oil, and your choice of ground meat (or sub plant-based ground meat). Vegan-Adaptable. Rich flavorful, tangy, spicy, perfect for chili winter nights! Video. Check out our 26+ Amazing Cabbage Recipes!
It is the life of the crystal, the architect of the flake, the fire of the frost, the soul of the sunbeam. This crisp winter air is full of it.– John Burrough
This Cabbage Soup Recipe is inspired by Asian Flavors and is full of healthy veggies and nutrients. Made with your choice of ground meat (like ground beef, lamb, ground turkey, chicken) or substitute a plant-based vegan “meat”. Either way you’ll have a deep rich broth infused with ginger, garlic and sesame oil -deliciously tangy and spicy.
What I love about this recipe is how adaptable it is and quick and easy it is to come together (under 30 minutes). It also feels really healthy and nourishing.
Hot & sour Cabbage Soup | 45 Sec Video
- Your choice of ground meat– beef, lamb, turkey, or vegan “meatless” ground meat ( Beyond Burger, Impossible Burger, etc)
- Cabbage ( purple is pretty, but green is fine too)
- Broth Base chicken, bone, beef or veggie broth
- Garnish with scallions and/or cilantro, a drizzle of sesame oil, sesame seeds. Serve over rice, or noodles if you want!
- See recipe care for detailed ingredients.
How to make Hot and Sour Cabbage Soup
Step One: Prep your veggies.
Chop the onion, garlic ginger.
Chop the Celery and bell pepper.
Chop half a head of cabbage.
Using purple cabbage gives the soup a nice color!
Step Two: Brown the meat (or vegan meat)
Step Three: Add the veggies
Step Four: Add the broth.
Step Five: Simmer and Season.
Add rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Spice it up with sriracha or hot chili paste to taste.
Step Six: Garnish.
Garnish with scallions or cilantro, a drizzle of sesame oil, and toasted sesame seeds.
Hope you enjoy the Asian flavors here, so rich and satisfying!
More recipes you may like:
- 26+ Amazing Cabbage Recipes
- Cabbage Steaks
- Corned Beef and Cabbage Stew
- 20 Best Broth-Based Soup Recipes
- Brothy Leek, Lamb & Cabbage Soup
- Simple Cabbage Soup
Hot and Sour Cabbage Soup
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: asian
- Diet: Diabetic
A fast and easy recipe recipe for Hot and Sour Cabbage Soup with ginger, scallions and your choice of ground meat (or sub plant-based ground meat). Vegan-Adaptable.
- 1 lb ground meat- beef, lamb, turkey, chicken or “meatless” ground meat ( Beyond Burger, Impossible Burger, etc)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4–8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated, or use ginger paste
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- or 1/4 teaspoon black pepper ( or sub 1/8 teaspoon white pepper)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped ( or sub a carrot, finely diced)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 a large cabbage, diced, about 6 cups diced –
- 6 cups chicken, beef or veggie broth
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or gluten-free Braggs
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup scallions, sliced
- sriracha or red chili paste, to taste
Garnish with scallions (and/or cilantro) sesame oil, sesame seeds. Serve over rice, or noodles if you want!
- In a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add the ground meat, onion and salt, and saute over medium-high heat, stirring, breaking the meat apart, stirring about 6 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium, add the garlic, ginger, chili flakes and pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, celery and cabbage, saute for just a few more minutes, then add the broth. Bring to a simmer, cover the pot, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until cabbage has softened.
- Season: Add the vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Give a stir and taste. It should taste deep and tangy. If not add little more soy or vinegar to taste. Add a little sriracha or garlic chili paste to taste (or add more chili flakes) and stir in the scallions.*If the broth becomes too salty add a little splash of water to dilute.
- Garnish with scallions or cilantro, sesame seeds and a drizzle of sesame oil.
If serving over rice or noodles, you’ll want the broth a little salty. 🙂
Leftovers will keep 4 days in the fridge or can be frozen.
Feel free to add other veggies!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 187
- Sugar: 8.8 g
- Sodium: 959.3 mg
- Fat: 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 19.4 g
- Cholesterol: 45.2 mg
Keywords: cabbage soup, cabbage soup recipe with beef, asian cabbage soup, hot and sour cabbage soup, vegan cabbage soup
Best soup ever—-more soup recipes please
Bernice Creighton -Smith
Thanks Bernice- glad you enjoyed!
Hi: Don’t know if you know this, but when you click on the option for 2x or 3 x to double or triple the recipe – the recipe components don’t double or triple. I’ve tried this on several of your recipes and I always have to double them myself. I have tried in Chrome, Edge and Opera – and it doesn’t work in any of those browsers.
PS: I’ve tried 2 of your recipes so far – and I’ve really enjoyed them both – so I have signed up for your blog and I am going to try a 3rd!
I am glad you have enjoyed Sherri! So when I try this, it works for me. Can you try clearing your cache? Or closing your your browser and checking again?
This is just outstanding! I made it with ground pork. Thanks!
Tastes great! Added some Hoisin for a little more umami. Used vegetable broth and lentils to make vegan.
This soup is sooooo good! I keep to the recipe with ground chicken. It’s so much better the next day. Make it ahead.
Love the FOH soups! Keep them coming!
Absolutely love this add a bit of fish sauce for that little bit of funky background note.
Ridiculous how you can be transported to another country by making this particularly quick, easy and flavourful soup.
Thanks Katherine! Glad you enjoyed it!
I added green beans and added more chili and vinegar. It was very nice. Thank you for helping me use up leftovers- will be making this again, and again!
Perfect Chris- love it!