Hot and Sour Cabbage Soup with ginger, scallions, sesame oil, and your choice of ground meat (or sub plant-based ground meat). Vegan-Adaptable. Rich flavorful, tangy, spicy, perfect for chili winter nights!
It is the life of the crystal, the architect of the flake, the fire of the frost, the soul of the sunbeam. This crisp winter air is full of it.– John Burrough
This Cabbage Soup Recipe is inspired by Asian Flavors and is full of healthy veggies and nutrients. Made with your choice of ground meat (like ground beef, lamb, ground turkey, chicken) or substitute a plant-based vegan “meat”. Either way you’ll have a deep rich broth infused with ginger, garlic and sesame oil -deliciously tangy and spicy.
What I love about this recipe is how adaptable it is and quick and easy it is to come together (under 30 minutes). It also feels really healthy and nourishing.
Ingredients in Hot and Sour Cabbage Soup
- ground meat- beef, lamb, turkey, or vegan “meatless” ground meat ( Beyond Burger, Impossible Burger, etc)
- fresh ginger
- red bell pepper
- cabbage ( purple is pretty, but green is fine too)
- chicken, bone, beef or veggie broth
- rice vinegar
- soy sauce or gluten-free Braggs
- toasted sesame oil
- salt, pepper and chili flakes
- sriracha or red chili paste
- Garnish with scallions and/or cilantro, a drizzle of sesame oil, sesame seeds. Serve over rice, or noodles if you want!
How to make Hot and Sour Cabbage Soup
Step One: Prep your veggies.
Chop the onion, garlic ginger.
Chop the Celery and bell pepper.
Chop half a head of cabbage.
Using purple cabbage gives the soup a nice color!
Step Two: Brown the meat (or vegan meat)
Step Three: Add the veggies
Step Four: Add the broth.
Step Five: Simmer and Season.
Step Six: Garnish.
Hope you enjoy the Asian flavors here, so rich and satisfying!
More recipes you may like:
- 20 Best Broth-Based Soup Recipes
- Vegan Ramen with Miso Shiitake Broth
- Brothy Leek, Lamb & Cabbage Soup
- Brothy Tortellini Soup w/ Spinach, White Beans & Basil
- Brothy Chickpea Soup with Lemon, Fennel and Sumac
A fast and easy recipe recipe for Hot and Sour Cabbage Soup with ginger, scallions and your choice of ground meat (or sub plant-based ground meat). Vegan-Adaptable.
- 1 lb ground meat- beef, lamb, turkey, chicken or “meatless” ground meat ( Beyond Burger, Impossible Burger, etc)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4–8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated, or use ginger paste
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- or 1/4 teaspoon black pepper ( or sub ⅛ teaspoon white pepper)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped ( or sub a carrot, finely diced)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 a large cabbage, diced, about 6 cups diced –
- 6 cups chicken, beef or veggie broth
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or gluten-free Braggs
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup scallions, sliced
- sriracha or red chili paste, to taste
- In a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add the ground meat, onion and salt, and saute over medium-high heat, stirring, breaking the meat apart, stirring about 6 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium, add the garlic, ginger, chili flakes and pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, celery and cabbage, saute for just a few more minutes, then add the broth. Bring to a simmer, cover the pot, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until cabbage has softened.
- Season: Add the vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Give a stir and taste. It should taste deep and tangy. If not add little more soy or vinegar to taste. Add a little sriracha or garlic chili paste to taste (or add more chili flakes) and stir in the scallions.*If the broth becomes too salty add a little splash of water to dilute.
- Garnish with scallions or cilantro, sesame seeds and a drizzle of sesame oil.
If serving over rice or noodles, you’ll want the broth a little salty. 🙂
Leftovers will keep 4 days in the fridge or can be frozen.
Feel free to add other veggies!
Keywords: cabbage soup, cabbage soup recipe with beef, asian cabbage soup, hot and sour cabbage soup, vegan cabbage soup