This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Tender, smoky Cabbage Steaks are easy to make and full of flavor. Just 15 minutes of prep before roasting in the oven, they make a quick and healthy weeknight meal!
Love Cabbage? Check out our collection of Amazing Cabbage Recipes
The winds of grace are always blowing, it is for us to raise our sails.ramakrishna
Cabbage Steaks have been a thing around here for several years! I love them because they are not only easy- they are super nutritious and very tasty!
While they roast in the oven, make the “extras” – in this case, creamy polenta and the Pickled Pepper Vinaigrette, and you’ll have lovely dinner in no time!
Table of Contents
Ingredients in Cabbage Steak Recipe
Cabbage- Small cabbages work best here- they keep their shape and look better on the plate. Use purple or green; up to you. Purple cabbage contain more polyphenols, so I opt for them.
Olive Oil– extra virgin olive oil is must here!
Spices- Here, we’ve kept it very simple with smoked paprika, garlic powder and lemon zest. But other spices work well, too- cajun spice, taco seasoning, zaatar, furikake, etc.
Parmesan– optional, but my husband insists on it. Personally, I like them both ways,but parmesan gives a nice earthiness.
Embellishments: Scroll down to see all the sauces and spices!
How to Make Cabbage Steaks
Slice one inch of the stem end off the cabbage first (and save this for slaw, salad, soup or stock). Continue slicing the cabbage into 1-inch slices. A small cabbage will yield three slices.
I usually eat two slices, but my husband can eat three or more, and leftovers can be reheated, so I always make two cabbages. They always get eaten.
Save the ends for stir fry or slaws!
Place on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Brush both sides with olive oil, and season both sides with salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika and optional chili flakes.
Top with lemon zest which will crisp up in the oven.
Roast in a 400F oven for 20-ish minutes on the middle rack. If adding parmesan, add it after 15 minutes, and continue roasting.
Embellishments: Use Sauces To Elevate!
While the cabbage roasts, make a sauce. Try this Pickled Red Pepper Vinaigrette or make Gremolata-either will work great here.
Ways to Serve Cabbage Steaks
- Serve over Creamy Polenta
- Serve over Mashed Potatoes
- Serve over Risotto
- Serve over Beans or lentils
- Serve over quinoa or rice
Here we’ve opted for Creamy Polenta and the Red Pepper Vinaigrette. Such a great combo! My husband love these with our Garlic Mashed potatoes.
Cabbage Steak Variations
- Add Parmesan to the top of these!
- Try Sesame oil and Furikake
- Cajun spice and garlic
- Harissa paste
- Zaatar and Garlic, serve with zhoug!
- Taco Seasoning, serve with pinto beans or mole black beans
Yes, roast them ahead, refrigerate and reheat them in a 375F oven.
Cabbage steaks will keep up to 4 days in the fridge.
Cabbage steaks can be pan-seared on the stovetop, but best if finished off in the oven to prevent drying out.
More recipes you may enjoy
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 steaks 1x
- Category: main, vegan
- Method: roasted, baked
- Cuisine: american
- Diet: Vegan
Tender, smoky Cabbage Steaks are easy to make and full of flavor. Just 15 minutes of prep before roasting in the oven, they make a quick and healthy weeknight meal! Recipe inspired by this!
- 2 small cabbages (small are better than large, see notes)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo Chili flakes (or use regular chili flakes)
- lemon zest from one lemon
- optional: 1/4 cup parmesan
- Italian parsley
Sauce: Pickled Pepper Vinaigrette or Gremolata (pick one)
Serve over mashed potatoes, creamy polenta(in photos) , or creamy risotto.
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cut the stem end off the cabbage, about one inch from the bottom. Continuing in that direction, cut 1-inch slices. You should have 3 per cabbage. Save the ends and tops for another use- slaws, salads or stock.
- Place cabbage on a parchment-lined sheet pan (prettier side down). Brush liberally with olive oil, sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic, and chili flakes. Carefully turn them over and repeat- olive oil, salt pepper, smoked paprika, garlic and chili flakes. Sprinkle with the lemon zest. Save the leftover oil for touch-up.
- Roast for 20 minutes on the middle rack (if adding parmesan, add it at minute 15) check, and continue baking if needed, until the middle is fork tender.
- While the cabbage steaks are roasting, make the sauce and side ( here, we’ve used creamy polenta).
- Assemble: Place the creamy polenta in a wide shallow bowl, carefully top with a cabbage steak; if it looks dry, brush with a little more olive oil, top with fresh parsley and spoon the sauce over and around the cabbage steaks. Serve with a knife and fork.
What Cabbage works best?
Small cabbages look better on the plate and hold together- better than large cabbages. The “steaks” are more compact. You can use purple or green- I prefer purple because they are higher in nutrients.
What to Serve with Cabbage Steaks?
- Creamy Polenta. Creamy polenta is a delicious option here!
- Mashed Potatoes – treat it like “steak and potatoes”!
- Risotto – creamy parmesan risotto would be delicious with cabbage steaks!
- Beans, lentils or whole grains.
How to store and reheat
Let cool completely and store for up to 4 days in the fridge. Reheat in a 375F oven- they will crisp up again!
- Serving Size: 1 cabbage steak
- Calories: 147
- Sugar: 7.5 g
- Sodium: 450.9 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.6 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: cabbage steak, cabbage steaks, cabbage steak recipe, roasted cabbage steaks
Another delicious recipe. I cooked both red and green cabbage with polenta. A feast for the pallet and the eye.
We opened a bottle of delicious Croatian wine. Babic 2016. Yummy.
Wow!! This was so amazing! I never imagined that cabbage could taste so good. Thanks for another incredible recipe. I’ll definitely be making this one again.
Glad you enjoyed it!
Oh my goodness! Surprised/not surprised at how yummy this was! Gremolita, parm and broiled the cabbage for the last 2 minutes for a bit of caramelization. Served over Paula Wolfert’s baked polenta. So good and very filling…..thank you so much for this great recipe!
Thanks so much Kim!
Sylvia another one of your winners! So delicious and unique..love the spices and the presentation on Polenta. You are brilliant!!!
So glad you enjoyed it Sharline!
Mouth watering recipe!
Glad you enjoyed Ann.
I tried this recipe yesterday , and it was truly delicious! first time i got the polenta right! thank you so much !! 🙂
So happy you enjoyed this Tania!
It’s a brilliant idea. Quick to prepare, yummy and leaves a great impression on your guests for the originality! Thank you !!
So happy everyone enjoyed Marie!