This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
This flavorful Cajun Seasoning Recipe is made from basic pantry spices- easy to make in just 5 minutes! Customize your own savory zesty spice blend that is more flavorful than store-bought!
Made from spices common to Cajun Cuisine, this Cajun Seasoning Recipe bestows robust flavors and bold spice. Creating a homemade spice blend keeps the flavors fresh and lively allowing you to adjust the spice, heat and salt content to your liking! It comes together faster than you may think.
What is Cajun Seasoning?
Cajun seasoning is a zesty, savory and often spicy blend of spices and salt, that originates from Louisiana, the birthplace of Cajun cuisine. Cajun cuisine is known for its robust flavors, and rustic style of cooking brought to Louisiana by the French who migrated to the bayous, from Nova Scotia- a beautiful marriage of French and Southern heritage. Cajun Seasoning varies from household to household, and is highly customizable- here we’ve rounded up the most common ingredients, and encourage you to play with this basic recipe and make it your own!
Ingredients in Cajun Seasoning Recipe
- smoked paprika– you can use regular paprika but the smoked really enhances the flavor
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- sea salt
- dried oregano
- dried thyme
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
How to Make Cajun Seasoning
Mix all of the spices together and store them in a sealed container. For optimum freshness use within 6 months.
How use Cajun Seasoning
- Chicken and Seafood: use as a dry rub before grilling or roasting
- Soup: add a little for a spicy flavor depth
- Salad Dressing: add a little to Dilly Ranch or Creamy Herby Hemp Dressing
- Tofu: make blackened tofu! sprinkle on and sear
- Potatoes: sprinkle on oven fries and baked potatoes
- Grilled Vegetables: perfect to sprinkle on just before grilling for a spiced seasoning kick
- Corn on the Cob: so good grilled with cajun spice!
- Bloody Mary: perfect for the rim 🙂
Ways to enhance your Cajun Seasoning
- Chipotle Powder– deepens the smokey flavors and adds more kick! Use in place of cayenne or half cayenne and half chipotle.
- Truffle Salt- adds extra umami. Use to replace 1/4 or half of the sea salt.
- White Pepper– for more flavor complexity use half white and half black pepper.
- Brown Sugar– 1-2 teaspoons will tame and balance the heat.
- Cumin– add 1/2 a teaspoon for an earthy twist.
- Dried Basil– adds a sweet herby flavor.
- Dried Ground Mustard– add a little more zing!
- TIP: Toast your finished Cajun spice blend in a dry skillet for a few minutes. If you are going to use this spice to sear on a pan (Blackened Salmon!) skip this idea.
More Spice Blends you make enjoy!
- Ethiopian Berbere Spice Blend
- Chinese Five Spice
- Za’atar Spice Recipe
- Furikake Seasoning Recipe
- Homemade Yellow Curry Powder
This simple Cajun Seasoning Recipe is made from basic pantry spices- easy to make in about 5 minutes! Customize your own savory zesty spice blend that is more flavorful than store-bought!
- Combine all ingredients together.
- Store in an airtight container.
For optimum freshness use within 6 months.
- Serving Size: 1/2 teaspoon
- Calories: 3
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 116.8 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.6 g
- Fiber: 0.2 g
- Protein: 0.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Cajun Seasoning, Cajun Spice Blend