A fast and easy recipe recipe for Hot and Sour Cabbage Soup with ginger, scallions and your choice of ground meat (or sub plant-based ground meat). Vegan-Adaptable.
- 1 lb ground meat- beef, lamb, turkey, chicken or “meatless” ground meat ( Beyond Burger, Impossible Burger, etc)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4–8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated, or use ginger paste
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- or 1/4 teaspoon black pepper ( or sub ⅛ teaspoon white pepper)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped ( or sub a carrot, finely diced)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 a large cabbage, diced, about 6 cups diced –
- 6 cups chicken, beef or veggie broth
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or gluten-free Braggs
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup scallions, sliced
- sriracha or red chili paste, to taste
- In a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add the ground meat, onion and salt, and saute over medium-high heat, stirring, breaking the meat apart, stirring about 6 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium, add the garlic, ginger, chili flakes and pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, celery and cabbage, saute for just a few more minutes, then add the broth. Bring to a simmer, cover the pot, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until cabbage has softened.
- Season: Add the vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Give a stir and taste. It should taste deep and tangy. If not add little more soy or vinegar to taste. Add a little sriracha or garlic chili paste to taste (or add more chili flakes) and stir in the scallions.*If the broth becomes too salty add a little splash of water to dilute.
- Garnish with scallions or cilantro, sesame seeds and a drizzle of sesame oil.
If serving over rice or noodles, you’ll want the broth a little salty. 🙂
Leftovers will keep 4 days in the fridge or can be frozen.
Feel free to add other veggies!
Keywords: cabbage soup, cabbage soup recipe with beef, asian cabbage soup, hot and sour cabbage soup, vegan cabbage soup