This recipe for Mediterranean Split Pea Soup is healthy and satisfying. Simple clean ingredients create a hearty soup that tastes even better the next day! Vegan and gluten-free. With a Video.
There’s always a sunrise and always a sunset and it’s up to you to choose to be there for it,’ said my mother. ‘Put yourself in the way of beauty. ~Cheryl Strayed
This Mediterranean Split Pea Soup recipe is so wholesome and perfect for chilly weather. Full of nutrients to keep us healthy, this soup offers a little balance in the midst of the holiday season.
The split peas break down when cooking, creating a texture that is rich and creamy. The onions are caramelized creating luscious depth. Herbs add so much fresh flavor and the tart sweetness of sun-dried tomatoes pairs so well with the earthy split peas.
Leftovers are delicious!
Mediterranean Split Pea Soup | 60-sec Video
Ingredients in Mediterranean Split Pea Soup
- olive oil
- garlic cloves
- split green peas
- vegetable broth
- sun-dried tomatoes
- bay leaves, fresh thyme, dried marjoram, fresh parsley
- smoked paprika
- sea salt & black pepper
- Start with cooking the split peas in unsalted water while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Make sure your split peas are not expired, as they may not soften completely.
- Lightly caramelizing your onions will give so much more flavor depth to your soup.
- Use this easy recipe for homemade vegetable broth for even more fresh flavor.
How to make Mediterranean Split Pea Soup
Rinse off split peas and add to a pot with 1 quart of unsalted water bring to a boil and simmer for 30.
Meanwhile, chop the veggies and herbs.
In a soup pot, sauté onion in olive oil for 10 minutes over medium heat, the onion will get brown edges and start to caramelize.
Add the garlic and the carrots, sauté 5 minutes more.
Add the veggie broth, sun-dried tomatoes, rosemary, bay leaves, thyme, marjoram, smoked paprika, sea salt, black pepper, and dijon.
Drain split peas and add them in.
Simmer gently, covered, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cooking until peas are broken down and soft.
Add in fresh parsley just before serving and a squeeze of lemon to taste.
Adjust to taste with salt and pepper.
More recipes you may enjoy
- How to make FLAVORFUL Vegetable Broth!
- Instant Pot Split Pea Soup with Harissa
- Mushroom Lentil Stew with Fennel and Sage
- Moroccan Lentil Quinoa Soup
- Brothy Chickpea Soup with Lemon, Fennel and Sumac
- Smoky Tomato White Bean Soup
- Creamy White Bean Soup with Gremolata
- 25 Delicious Vegetarian & Vegan Soup Recipes
Stay warm, eat mostly healthy and find something beautiful to ponder 💛.Print
This recipe for Mediterranean Split Pea Soup is healthy and satisfying. Simple clean ingredients create a hearty soup that tastes even better the next day! Vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 1/2 cups split green peas, sorted and rinsed
- 4 cups (1 quart) water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, 1 1/2 cups, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 cups (1 1/2 quarts) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup packed sun-dried tomatoes, cut in small pieces (dry, not in oil)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- a squeeze of lemon to serve
- Rinse off split peas and add to a pot with 1 quart of unsalted water bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a separate soup pot, sauté onion in olive oil for 10 minutes over medium heat, the onion will get brown edges and start to caramelize.
- Add the garlic and the carrots, sauté 5 minutes more.
- Add veggie broth, sun-dried tomatoes, rosemary, bay leaves, thyme, marjoram, smoked paprika, sea salt, black pepper, and dijon.
- Drain split peas and add in.
- Simmer gently over medium-low heat, 30 minutes, with a lid-vented, stirring occasionally. Cook until peas are soft and broken down.
- Add in fresh parsley just before serving and a squeeze of lemon.
Adjust to taste with salt and pepper.
We adjusted the original recipe as a few people had issues with split peas fully softening. The revised version starts with cooking the split peas in unsalted water.
Serve the Split Pea Soup topped with croutons, bread crumbs or crostini if desired.
Soup will keep up to 4 days in the fridge or can be frozen.
Alternatively cook in instant pot- use sauté function for steps 2 and 3. Set pressure cook setting on high for 15 minutes. Add more broth to desired consistency.
- Serving Size: 1 ⅓ cups
- Calories: 132
- Sugar: 6.8 g
- Sodium: 1218.4 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.1 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 2.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Split Pea Soup, vegan split Pea soup, Mediterranean Split pea soup