Roasted Tomato Soup with optional Halloumi Croutons. It’s like having a grilled cheese sandwich on the side, but without the bread. Low-Carb, GF & Vegan Adaptable!
This glowing bowl of Roasted Tomato Soup is made with fresh summer tomatoes, roasted in the oven until caramelized and sweetened. Topped with the optional Halloumi “Croutons”, it is kind of like having a grilled cheese sandwich with a bowl of comforting tomato soup but without the bread. Get it? 😉
Low-carb and gluten-free, this can be made ahead and frozen in mason jars for the cold winter months to come. A little jar of sunshine in the midst of winter. Roasting tomatoes -or any fruit or vegetable – deeply intensifies the flavor – which adds layers of complexity to the finished dish.
A little meal prep tip: You can always roast something a day ahead (say, carrots for soup, or plums for ice cream) then store it in the fridge overnight, or until you are ready to use it. Often while dinner is on the table, I’ll have something else that needs to be used up, roasting in the oven, that I’ll refrigerate after dinner, and turn into tomorrow’s soup or meal. 🙂
How to make Roasted Tomato Soup
- Tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, and garlic are tossed in olive oil and roasted in the oven until tender.
- Once tender and cooled, they are blended with broth or stock and herbs, until smooth,.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sweetener of choice.
- Simmer gently on the stove, to reduce just slightly and allow flavors to meld.
- Stir in a little sour cream, plain greek yogurt or cream (or vegan cream) to taste.
- Serve with the crispy seared halloumi “croutons” and fresh herbs.
How to freeze soup
If you are cooking for one or for two, remember that freezing leftovers or batches of soup is always a nice option. You can freeze the soup in mason jars -leaving an inch of headroom at the top for the soup to expand.
In the middle of winter, or when feeling under the weather- it’s so nice to be able to pull out a jar of comforting, homemade Roasted Tomato Soup.
Can this be made vegan?
Yes! To make this vegan, either simmer 1/3 cup raw cashews in the veggie broth for 20 minutes, before blending with the soup- or sub a vegan yogurt, vegan sour cream or even a swirl of good olive oil. Leave off the halloumi cheese and sub homemade croutons. 🙂
What are the best tomatoes to use?
Fresh, ripe, summer tomatoes- a variety is nice, heirlooms, Roma, or what you can find.
These tomatoes are from Urban Eden Farm, a local farm right here in the heart of Spokane in an area called Vinegar Flats.
This glowing bowl makes me so happy just looking at it. I know my body will love all the nutrients it will provide.
This homemade tomato soup would also make a great gift to someone who is feeling under the weather. Put it in a mason jar and wrap it up in a kitchen towel. Simple and sweet.
More soup recipes
This Roasted Tomato Soup is made with fresh summer tomatoes and topped with optional crispy Halloumi Croutons. Vegan adaptable. For a year-round version, using canned tomatoes please see our Homemade Tomato Soup.
- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes, halved, stem removed. ( If they are small, ok to leave them whole)
- 1/2 large red onion- thinly sliced into thin rings
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into quarters ( or sub 1 large carrot, thinly sliced)
- 4– 6 garlic cloves- whole
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 –4 cups veggie broth or chicken stock.
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil leaves (or cut into ribbons)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 –2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 1/2 –1 cup plain sour cream, heavy cream , greek yogurt (or sub a drizzle of olive oil)
Halloumi Croutons (optionanl)
- 1 6-8 ounce block of halloumi cheese- (available at trader Joes, upscale supermarkets, international markets) cut into 3/4 inch cubes.
- 1 tablespoon oil
Garnish: Basil, scallions, yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- On parchment or foil-lined sheet pan, spread out tomatoes (cut side down), onions, bell pepper and garlic. Sprinkle with the thyme, drizzle with oil give a good toss. Roast for 25-30 minutes, but check garlic at 15 minutes ( removing if need be) and roast until onion and pepper are tender and tomatoes have just begun to caramelize at their edges. When done, remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, cut the halloumi into small 3/4 inch cubes. Pat dry. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and sear the halloumi on two sides, until golden, not overcrowding and turning heat down if necessary. Place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- When the tomatoes are cooled, blend them along with all their flavorful juices from the tray and half tof he basil- using a blender, with the cold stock, working in small batches. Or use an immersion blender in a pot. Blend until creamy and smooth adding broth to the level of thickness that you like.
- Place in a pot, over low heat, add salt and pepper and honey to taste and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes until soup reduces a bit and flavors meld.
- Swirl in ½ cup sour cream or yogurt to the pot of soup. Taste and adjust salt and sugar. Add more yogurt (or sour cream or heavy cream) if you prefer a creamier soup, or even a tablespoon or two of butter.
- Serve soup in bowls, with a little swirl of yogurt. Top with a few haloumi croutons and garnish with basil or scallion or chives.
Sugar depends on sweetness of the tomatoes. Add to taste.
Vegan Option: You could simmer 1/3 cup raw cashews in the veggie broth for 20 minutes to soften – then blend it with the soup. Alternatively, you could use vegan yogurt, vegan sour cream or a swirl of olive oil, and sub bread croutons for the Halloumi.
- Serving Size: -with haloumi cheese and greek yogurt
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 8.2 g
- Sodium: 158.7 mg
- Fat: 23 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.9 g
- Fiber: 3.9 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 22.7 mg
Keywords: roasted tomato soup, roasted tomato soup recipe,