Roasted Tomato Soup with crispy Halloumi Croutons. Like having a grilled cheese sandwich on the side, but without the bread. Low-Carb, GF & Vegan Adaptable!
This glowing bowl of Roasted Tomato Soup is made with fresh end-of-summer tomatoes, roasted in the oven until carmelized and sweetened. Topped with Halloumi “Croutons” it is kind of like having a grilled cheese sandwich with a bowl of comforting tomato soup but without the bread. Get it? 😉
Low-carb and gluten-free, this can be made ahead and frozen in mason jars for the cold winter months to come. A little jar of sunshine in the midst of winter. Roasting tomatoes -or any fruit or vegetable – deeply intensifies the flavor – which adds layers of complexity to the finished dish.
A little meal prep tip: You can always roast something a day ahead (say, carrots for soup, or plums for ice-cream) then store it in the fridge overnight, or until you are ready to use it. Often while dinner is on the table, I’ll have something else that needs using up, roasting in the oven, that I’ll refrigerate after dinner, and turn into tomorrow’s soup or meal.
Here, the roasted tomatoes are blended with stock, and simmered gently to reduce just slightly. The soup is topped with crispy seared haloumi cheese and a swirl of greek yogurt.
To keep this vegan, sub a vegan yogurt, vegan sour cream or even a swirl of good olive oil. Leave off the halloumi and sub bread croutons. 🙂
If you are cooking for one or for two, remember that freezing leftovers or batches of soup is always a nice option. You can freeze the soup in mason jars -leaving ample room at the top for the soup to expand. In the middle of winter, or when feeling under the weather- it’s so nice to be able to pull out a jar of comforting, homemade Roasted Tomato Soup.
These tomatoes are from Urban Eden Farm, a local farm right here in the heart of Spokane in an area called Vinegar Flats. They are so close to town and offer a wonderful CSA program, so keep them in mind for next year if you are thinking about joining one. Such joyful people, so hardworking, salt of the earth.
This glowing bowl makes me so happy just looking at it. I know my body will love all the nutrients it will provide.
This homemade tomato soup would also make a great gift to someone who is feeling under the weather. Put it in a mason jar and wrap it up in a kitchen towel. Simple and sweet.
- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes, halved and cored ( if small, ok to leave them whole)
- 1/2 large red onion- thinly sliced into thin rings
- 4– 6 garlic cloves- whole
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or oregano ( or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 4 cups broth -veggie or chicken
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil leaves (or cut into ribbons)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ –1 cup plain greek yogurt, sour cream, heavy cream or a drizzle of olive oil.
- 1 6-8 ounce block halloumi cheese- (available at trader Joes, upscale supermarkets, international markets) cut into ¾ inch cubes.
- 1 tablespoon oil
Garnish: Basil, scallions, yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- On parchment or foil-lined sheet pan, spread out tomatoes ( cut side down), onions, and garlic. Sprinkle with the thyme, drizzle with oil and give a good toss. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until onion is tender and tomatoes have just begun to caramelize at their edges.When done, remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, cut the haloumi into small 3/4 inch cubes. Pat dry. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and sear the haloumi on two sides, until golden, not over crowding and turning heat down if necessary. Place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- When the tomatoes are cooled, blend them along with all their flavorful juices from the tray, using a blender, with the cold stock, working in small batches. Or use an immersion blender. Blend until creamy and smooth. Place in a pot, over low heat, add salt and pepper to taste and bring to a gentle simmer. Stir in basil (saving some for garnish). Simmer for 10 minutes until soup reduces a bit and flavors meld.
- Swirl in ½ cup yogurt to the pot of soup. Taste and adjust salt. Add more yogurt ( or sour cream or heavy cream) if you prefer a creamier soup. (To keep this vegan, a drizzle of good olive oil is nice, and obviously leave off the haloumi.)
- Serve soup in bowls, with a little swirl of yogurt. Top with a few haloumi croutons and garnish with basil or scallion or chives.
If tomatoes are not very sweet, sometimes I’ll add a ½ teaspoon of sugar to bring the flavor around. 🙂
Keep this vegan by using vegan yogurt, vegan sour cream or a swirl of olive oil, and subbing bread croutons for Haloumi!
- Serving Size: -with haloumi cheese and greek yogurt
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 8.2 g
- Sodium: 158.7 mg
- Fat: 23 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.9 g
- Fiber: 3.9 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 22.7 mg
Keywords: tomato soup, roasted tomato soup recipe, homemade tomato soup, easy tomato soup, tomato soup recipe, halloumi cheese recipes