Homemade Tomato Soup with fresh roasted heirloom tomatoes, topped with crispy Halloumi Croutons. A healthy bowl of velvety goodness! Keep this vegan by using vegan yogurt, sour cream or a swirl of olive oil, and subbing bread croutons for Haloumi!
- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes, halved and cored ( if small, ok to leave them whole)
- 1/2 large red onion- thinly sliced into thin rings
- 4– 6 garlic cloves- whole
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or oregano ( or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 4 cups broth -veggie or chicken
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil leaves (or cut into ribbons)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ –1 cup plain greek yogurt, sour cream, heavy cream or a drizzle of olive oil.
- 1 6-8 ounce block halloumi cheese- (available at trader Joes, upscale supermarkets, international markets) cut into ¾ inch cubes.
- 1 tablespoon oil
Garnish: Basil, scallions, yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- On parchment or foil-lined sheet pan, spread out tomatoes ( cut side down), onions, and garlic. Sprinkle with the thyme, drizzle with oil and give a good toss. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until onion is tender and tomatoes have just begun to caramelize at their edges.When done, remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, cut the haloumi into small 3/4 inch cubes. Pat dry. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and sear the haloumi on two sides, until golden, not over crowding and turning heat down if necessary. Place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- When the tomatoes are cooled, blend them along with all their flavorful juices from the tray, using a blender, with the cold stock, working in small batches. Or use an immersion blender. Blend until creamy and smooth. Place in a pot, over low heat, add salt and pepper to taste and bring to a gentle simmer. Stir in basil (saving some for garnish). Simmer for 10 minutes until soup reduces a bit and flavors meld.
- Swirl in ½ cup yogurt to the pot of soup. Taste and adjust salt. Add more yogurt ( or sour cream or heavy cream) if you prefer a creamier soup. (To keep this vegan, a drizzle of good olive oil is nice, and obviously leave off the haloumi.)
- Serve soup in bowls, with a little swirl of yogurt. Top with a few haloumi croutons and garnish with basil or scallion or chives.
If tomatoes are not very sweet, sometimes I’ll add a ½ teaspoon of sugar to bring the flavor around. 🙂
Keywords: tomato soup, roasted tomato soup recipe, homemade tomato soup, easy tomato soup, tomato soup recipe, halloumi cheese recipes