Rich and comforting, this easy vegan recipe for Tomato Artichoke Soup will be on the table in about 20 minutes. Perfect for when you’re in the mood for a dynamic tomato soup with very little hands-on effort.
In the vessel of your body, you yourself are the world tree, deep roots in the Earth and a crown of stars. Your essence bridges dimensions. ―
This is a soup I crave. Bright and vibrant yet full of depth with just the right amount of texture from tender sautéed fennel and artichoke hearts. There are so many things that pair well with this tomato soup, from simple rustic Sourdough Crackers, or Homemade Sourdough Croutons, to a wide variety of salads and sandwiches.
Tomato Artichoke Soup comes together so fast, all made in one pot, no blending required. This soup has all the familiar tanginess that you seek when you have that hankering for a quality tomato soup. Tarragon, fennel and artichokes just seem so happy paired together. Add tomatoes to edge it that much closer to perfection. Just a little chopping and sautéing- then blissful enjoyment!
Here is a little trick I use for making a simple quick homemade veggie broth. I keep a ziplock bag in the freezer. Every meal prep, I put vegetable discards, such as ends, bits and pieces, in the bag. To make a quick batch, put a handful of frozen vegetable pieces in the pot and cover with water and simmer 30 minutes to 1 hour. I get this going before beginning my recipe prepping. For the most part, it all times out perfectly. A basic veggie stock can be ready to use in 30 minutes with almost no effort!
which vegetables make a good veggie broth?
- mushroom stems
- carrot tops and peels
- leek, scallion and onion ends (not too much peel as they can be bitter)
- garlic ends and peel
- celery ends and leaves
- parsley and cilantro stems
- fennel stems
simple quick veggie broth (in a nutshell)
- keep a bag or container in the freezer for veggie discard, add to it as you prep your meals
- place 4 cups of frozen veggie parts to 5 cups of water in a pot. add salt and pepper to taste.
- add any extra veg needed to round it out (I often find I have more onion to veg ratio. I may throw in a chopped carrot or celery stalk and maybe a fresh sprig of rosemary)
- bring to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- strain and discard veggies.
We will be sharing a more in-depth post about making a variety of delicious deeply flavored vegetable broths soon!
And please never feel bad about using store-bought veggie broth! We are always going for ease and enjoyment in the kitchen!
We go the easy route here using quality canned artichokes and tomato puree.
Chop up onion, garlic, and fennel bulb.
Start sautéing onion, fennel and garlic.
Meanwhile chop artichoke hearts, tarragon.
Add all remaining ingredients to the pot and heat thoroughly.
More recipes you may enjoy:
- Simple Tomato Soup
- Artichoke Soup
- 25 Delicious Vegetarian & Vegan Soup Recipes
- Curried Zucchini Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Artichoke Soup with Wild Rice
Do what you can to stay grounded out there. For me, this looks like walks in nature, practicing breathing deeply and noticing small beautiful things in fleeting moments (have you ever truly gazed at droplets of water on a tree?…incredible!🙂) I’m continually surprised at how much these simple actions center and calm me. May you find some moments of calm and beauty in this wild world we share.
Hope you enjoy this yummy soup!
An easy vegan recipe for Tomato Artichoke Soup using pantry ingredients. Perfect for when your in the mood for a dynamic tomato soup with very little hands-on effort. Ready in 20 minutes!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 16 oz can artichoke hearts, chopped
- 2 heaping tablespoons fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- In a soup pot, saute’ onion, fennel bulb and garlic in olive oil for 10 minutes over medium heat until soft.
- Add crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, artichokes, tarragon, salt, pepper, balsamic and maple syrup.
- Cook until heated through.
Amp up protein with a can of white beans, or chickpeas.
Add a cup or two of greens (like chard or kale) to sautéing onions. Or fresh spinach added just before serving.
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups
Keywords: tomato artichoke soup, artichoke tomato soup, easy vegan soup recipe, tomato tarragon soup, vegan tomato soup,