Chipotle Mayo-Mexican Secret Sauce
Vegan -Adaptable Chipotle Mayo- a smoky spicy zesty Mexican Secret Sauce for tacos, tosadas, enchilada’s or most any mexican food. Can be made vegan with Veganaise or use Silken Tofu ( see notes). Gluten Free.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: ½ cup
- Category: Condiment
- Method: whisk
- Cuisine: Mexican
- ½ cup mayo ( or use sour cream, vegan mayo “Veganaise” – or make with silken tofu, see notes below)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 -2 teaspoons lime juice ( to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder – you can also use one canned chipotle pepper (blending it with the mayo in a blender) or just stir in a teaspoon or two of the spicy smoky adobo sauce from the can. Start conservatively, adding more to taste.
- If making with mayo or Veganaise, place all ingredients in a small bowl. Be conservative with the chipotle ( you can always add more). Whisk until smooth with a fork or tiny whisk. ( See notes below if making with silken tofu.)
- Taste, adjust heat, adding more if you like.
- Store in a small jar in the fridge, or in a squirt bottle for easy use. Keeps up to 3 weeks.
If making a vegan version with silken tofu- replace the mayo with ½ a package silken tofu ( about 6 ounces), leave out the water and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Increase salt to ½-¾ teaspoon, add ¼ teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (in addition to the lime) and place all in a food processor, blending until smooth and creamy. Use a canned chipotle pepper or the just a teaspoon or two of the adobo sauce from the can, for the best flavor. Adjust salt, heat and lime.
I use Mori-Nu Organic Silken Tofu- Firm or Extra Firm Tofu
Keywords: chipotle mayo, how to make chipotle mayo, vegan chipotle mayo