In this easy recipe, Whole Roasted Cauliflower is seasoned with Zaatar Spice then roasted in the oven until tender and golden. When it comes out, it is fragrant and beautiful golden with a delicious crust. Drizzle it with creamy Tahini Sauce for a healthy, delicious vegan meal (or side dish) you will fall in love with!
Whole Roasted Cauliflower | 60-sec video
How to make Whole Roasted Cauliflower:
Step 1: Remove the leaves of the cauliflower, revealing the stem. Trim the stem of the cauliflower so it is level- and keep it upright for added drama, or simply slice it off for easier roasting.
Step 3: After seasoning the cauliflower, pour a cup of water in the pan and cover tightly with foil.
Step 4: Roast in a 425F oven for 35-55 minutes, depending on the size. Either cover with foil or use a dutch oven.
Note: You can also cut the cauliflower into steaks or break into florets….but if wanting to try something different and fun, roast the cauliflower whole in the oven, allowing the crust to get a little crispy and golden.
Step 5: Remove the foil or lid then continue to bake another half hour until deliciously golden and crispy.
Top with fresh herbs like parsley and/or dill.
More recipes you may like:Print
- 1 whole cauliflower (large is best!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon zaatar spice ( or try dukkah!) ( or try a mix of coriander, cumin and optional sumac)
- 1 cup water
- 1 Batch TAHINI SAUCE ( go to the recipe)
- Garnish with fresh herbs – parsley, dill and or mint, sprinkle with optional aleppo chili flakes, drizzle with this optional Tahini sauce!
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Trim the cauliflower – either cutting off the stem (easier) to create a flat base, or leaving it intact, trimming and slicing the bottom so it stands up straight ( like a tree trunk).
- Place it in an ovenproof skillet or dutch oven. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil all over the cauliflower, sprinkle with salt and Zaatar spice. Pour 1/2 cup of water into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake. Cover tightly with the lid or foil and bake for 25-45 minutes– depending on size – or until just tender when pierced with a knife. Smaller cauliflower heads may only take 25 minutes, larger ones can take up to 60.
- Uncover. Very carefully take the lid or foil off, minding the hot steam (it will burn!). Drizzle with a little more olive oil, place back in the oven for 30 minutes, perhaps rotating halfway through. At this point it should be deeply golden, but if not, continue roasting until it is… please no pale cauliflowers here!!!
- Make this Tahini Sauce!
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle more zaatar if you like, fresh herbs, optional aleppo chili flakes, and either drizzle the tahini sauce over the whole thing right in the pan, or cut it up, like a cake, into wedges and serve the tahini sauce on the side. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: ¼ of a cauliflower with no tahini sauce
- Calories: 127
- Sugar: 4.7 g
- Sodium: 366.7 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.8 g
- Fiber: 5.1 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: whole roasted cauliflower, how to roast whole cauliflower, whole cauliflower roasted, roasted cauliflower with tahini sauce, zaatar cauliflower, roasted cauliflower with dukkah, roasted cauliflower with Zaatar Spice, how to roast a whole cauliflower.