This Harissa Chicken is baked with Sweet Potatoes takes about 10-15 minutes of hands on time before going into the oven to bake. Mildly spicy and smoky, the quick harissa marinade is easy and simple- just stir it up in a bowl. Sub tofu or white fish instead of chicken for vegans!
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (about 2 medium-sized) – diced into 1/2 inch cubes, unpeeled.
- 1 large red onion- sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
- 4 chicken thighs, skin on, bone-in (or substitute 1 lb boneless thighs or chicken breasts)
Garnish: Cilantro sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves- finely minced or crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder ( optional, or sub chili flakes )
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds ( optional, but good)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Quick Green Harissa Sauce
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 bunch Cilantro – (about 1 cup packed, tender stems ok) finely chopped
- 2–3 slices jalapeno (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Stir marinade ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Dice the sweet potatoes into ½-¾ inch cubes and place in a medium bowl with half the marinade and toss to coat. Place them in a single layer on one side of a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Cut the onion, and place next to the sweet potatoes, drizzle with a little oil if you want (or not), saving room for the chicken.
- Pat the chicken dry, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and place in the same medium bowl and add the remaining marinade, coating all sides well.
- Line the chicken up next to the onions. If using very small sheet pans, you may need to use two. Do not overlap!
- Place the sheet pan in the oven and bake 30 minutes but check after 20, rotating the pan if necessary. If using boneless thighs or breasts- they will cook faster ( feel free to remove if potatoes need more time)
- While baking, make Green Harissa Sauce, blending all the ingredients in the blender.
- Double-check that the chicken is cooked through before serving, and for extra crispy skin, broil for a few minutes at the end.
- Divide the roasted sweet potatoes among 4 bowls and top with the chicken. Garnish with cilantro and serve with the Green Harissa Yogurt Sauce.
If using boneless, skinless chicken thigh or breast, it will most likely cook faster, so make sure to check after 20 minutes. If done, take off the sheet pan, and let the sweet potatoes continue cooking until fork tender.
For vegans, sub a tofu filet about 1 inch thick.
If substituting with fish, check after 10-12 minutes, depending on how thick the cut.
- Serving Size: 1 thigh with 1 cup sweet potatoes
- Calories: 464
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 722.7 mg
- Fat: 33.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.9 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 21.2 g
- Cholesterol: 111.3 mg
Keywords: harissa chicken, harissa chicken recipe, baked harissa chicken, sheet pan harissa chicken, harissa sweet potatoes