This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
One- pan, Roasted Chicken Thighs with Lemon, Thyme and Crispy Potatoes. An easy, flavorful sheet pan dinner with just 10 minutes of prep time, before baking in the oven.
Here’s a simple dinner idea- Roasted Chicken Thighs with lemon and thyme, baked over a bed of sliced potatoes. A sheet pan dinner with just 10 minutes of prep, before the oven, takes care of the rest.
Slices of lemon, onion, rough-chopped garlic and fresh thyme infuse the chicken and potatoes with savory and tangy goodness. As the chicken cooks, the potato slices get crispy around the edges. Right before it’s done, steam some broccoli to mop up all the flavorful pan juices.
When it comes down to it, my husband loves a “proper dinner.” To him, the perfect plate consists of meat, starch, and a vegetable.
When I’ve been feeling particularly neglectful in the wife department, I shower him with proper dinners. But often, proper dinners often take more time than I’ve allotted and more pots and pans than I have time to wash. There are days we all need shortcuts, don’t we?
Hence, this simple Sheet Pan Dinner. With easy prep and easier clean up…everyone is happy!
How to make Roasted Chicken Thighs with Lemon & Thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Brush or spray a sheet pan with olive oil. Use parchment to prevent sticking.
- Using a mandolin, thinly slice potatoes and lay them down on the sheet pan, overlapping just slightly.
- Brush or spray the tops lightly with olive oil. Salt and pepper them.
- Scatter whole garlic cloves ( or sliced onion if you like), lemon slices (don’t skip) and fresh thyme.
- Then place the salted chicken thighs (bone-in, skin-on) over top.
Here I’m using a couple of russet potatoes, skin on. It really doesn’t have to be perfect as you can see.
The important thing is to use bone-in, skin-on chicken, which will take the same amount of time to cook as the potatoes. The skin will lock in the moisture.
Put the chicken in a 400 F oven for 40-50 minutes.
Broil for extra crispy.
During the last 15 minutes, make this 15-Minute Broccoli!
Spoon a little of the pan juices over the chicken and potatoes, and if you want a little more color, continue baking for 5 minutes or broil for just a few minutes.
I love how the lemon slices get tender and caramelized and infuse flavor into the dish. I actually eat them too, rind and all!
I love how simple and flavorful this meal is.
You may also like:
- Chicken Cacciatore
- Chicken Adobo
- Mediterranean Chicken
- One Skillet Creamy Orzo Chicken
- Gorgonzola Chicken with Mushrooms & Sage
- Chicken Marsala
- Sheet-Pan Szechuan Chicken and Brussels Sprouts
Happy week. xoPrint
A simple delicious recipe for Roasted Chicken and Crispy Potatoes with lemon, garlic and thyme.
- 4–6 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on
- salt and pepper to taste (3/4 – 1 teaspoon of salt per pound of chicken)
- 4 medium potatoes (russets, Yukon)- or enough to cover a baking sheet or larger size baking dish in a slightly overlapping single layer, )
- olive oil, or olive oil spray
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced- Meyer Lemon is nice here.
- 8–10 garlic cloves, leave whole
- 1/2 an onion, sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, plus sprigs for garnish
Serve with 15-minute broccoli
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- Pat dry the chicken well, and season both sides with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Line an extra-large baking dish or sheet pan with parchment and spray or brush liberally with olive oil.
- Using a mandolin, slice potatoes into rounds, leaving skins on. If cutting with a knife, remember thinner is better, about ⅛ inch.
- Lay the potatoes down on the greased sheet pan, just slightly overlapping. Spray or brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Scatter the lemon slices around, then the garlic, optional onion and thyme.
- Place the seasoned chicken over the potatoes.
- Place in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes, checking for doneness. Continue cooking 5-10 more minutes until deeply golden, and the internal temp is 170F. Broil for extra crispy.
- Spoon the flavorful pan juices over the chicken and potatoes. Garnish with thyme sprigs.
- Serve with the 15-min broccoli if you like!
- Serving Size: One chicken thigh with ¼ th of the potatoes
- Calories: 375
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 767.4 mg
- Fat: 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.8 g
- Fiber: 5.7 g
- Protein: 33.5 g
- Cholesterol: 140.1 mg
Keywords: Roasted Chicken Thighs, Lemon Thyme Chicken, Baked chicken with Lemon and Thyme, Roasted Chicken with Lemon and Thyme