This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
This creamy Gorgonzola Chicken with Mushrooms and Sage is deliciously decadent and perfect for folks who love gorgonzola cheese and mushrooms- perfect for special occasions like birthdays, date-nights, anniversaries, or even Valentine’s day. Video. + 40 Irresistible Mushroom Recipes!
A good question has heart, arising from a deep love to discover what is true.~ Frank Ostaseski
Here’s another recipe we made quite often in our catering business- Creamy Gorgonzola Chicken. It had almost become a faint memory until one day last summer, Brian requested it for his birthday dinner. While we were eating it- I think he actually started purring…
Since then he keeps asking if I’ll make it again and most of the time I’ll nudge him towards a “healthier” direction but since he had to put up with Vegan January, my plan is to reward him on Valentine’s day. 😉
Looking for more ways to cook chicken breast? Take a peek at our 35+Best Chicken Breast Recipes on the blog!
Gorgonzola Chicken | 60-Sec Video
Creamy Gorgonzola Chicken is a deliciously decadent dish- so I highly recommend pairing it with a hearty portion of healthy veggies. We love it with these Hazelnut Green Beans or this 15-Minute Broccoli with garlic and lemon zest, and usually, skip the starch, but up to you.
Yes, you could serve it with a starch- garlicky mashed potatoes, creamy polenta, cauliflower mash or wild rice would all work well here but I personally find, when having something rich like this- it is much easier to digest without anything too starchy. Do as you please. 🙂
Ingredients in Gorgonzola Chicken
- Chicken breast: boneless, skinless breasts work best here.
- Salt and pepper
- Flour: or sub GF flour
- Sage: Chopped and whole leaves ( or sub fresh thyme)
- gorgonzola cheese
- Wine (sherry wine, white wine, vermouth) see notes for substituting.
- Chicken stock or broth
- Mushrooms: Shiitakes, maitake, chanterelles, porcini, morels
- Ovenproof skillet or braiser
Can this be made vegetarian?
Why yes! With all the vegetarian chicken options out there, I think you could easily swap out the chicken. While I’m not a fan of consuming anything highly processed- even if it is vegan or plant-based– on occasion, I think it is probably fine.
How to make Gorgonzola Chicken
Pre-heat the oven to 375F
Pound or cut the chicken breasts into equal thickness, then coat the chicken breasts in salt, pepper and a little flour. Set aside.
Make the crispy sage leaves and set them aside- this will become the garnish.
Then saute the mushrooms and shallots. I love morels or chanterelles in season, but shiitakes are nice. Maitakes would also be delicious here- cook them like this.
In the same pan, pan sear the chicken until beautiful golden- don’t worry about cooking through here, get a nice crust. Set Aside.
Add a little more olive oil to the same pan and make the Gorgonzola Sauce. Saute the shallots and garlic. Deglaze with the wine. Reduce by half.
Then add broth, cheese, and half and half.
Whisk until smooth—season with salt and pepper.
Nestle the chicken breast into the sauce.
Top with the mushrooms and place in the oven, uncovered until the chicken is cooked through ( 160F).
The creamy gorgonzola sauce will thicken, spoon some overtop, and garnish with the crispy sage leaves.
Serve with your favorite veggie side!
More chicken breast recipes you may like:
- 40+ Mouthwatering Chicken Breast Recipes
- Chicken Mole
- Chicken Cacciatore
- Chicken Marsala
- Chicken Katsu (or Tofu Katsu!)
- Baked Chicken Breasts
- Five-Spice Chicken with Roasted Plum Sauce
- How to Roast a Whole Chicken
- One Skillet Creamy Orzo Chicken
- Lemony Broccoli Chicken Orzo Bake
On the homefront: We drove down to Santa Barbara this week for our yearly winter trip. It took a few days to get here from Spokane, but it was a gloriously sunny drive. This will be our home for the next 3 months and I’m just so thrilled to be here.
Creamy Gorgonzola Chicken with Mushrooms and Sage is flavorful, decadent, and perfect for special occasions like birthdays, anniversaries or Valentine’s day. The creamy gorgonzola sauce is dreamy and delicious.
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour (or GF flour)
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts (4-5 breasts), pounded to a similar thickness.
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil (or butter) divided
- 10 sage leaves (whole) plus 1 tablespoon chopped sage, (or sub thyme)
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce:
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Prep Chicken: In a small bowl or plate, mix salt, pepper and flour. Pound chicken to a similar thickness- 3/4 inch-1 inch. Coat all sides of the chicken with the salt and pepper mixture, using it all up.
- Make crispy sage: Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop whole sage leaves into the oil, turning over after 30 seconds, then place on a paper towel. Set aside.
- Saute Mushrooms: To the same pan, add mushrooms and sliced shallots, sauteeing until they release their liquid, then add chopped sage, and cook a few more minutes, until lightly caramelized. Set these aside.
- Sear Chicken: Add a little more oil to the same pan, and sear the chicken until both sides are beautifully golden (don’t worry about cooking through) just aim for beautifully golden. Feel free to increase the heat. Set the chicken aside with the mushrooms.
- Make the Gorgonzola Sauce: To the same pan, over medium heat add a little more oil or butter. Add the finely diced shallot and garlic. Saute until fragrant- about 4 minutes. Deglaze the pan with wine. Reduce by half, scraping up any browned bits. Once reduced, add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add the gorgonzola cheese, letting it melt and whisk until smooth. Add 1/4 -1/2 cup of cream or half and half. Season with salt and pepper.
- If you want more “tang” or “bite”, a little dijon mustard is nice here.
- Nestle the seared chicken into the sauce, surround and top with the mushrooms, spooning a little sauce over top and bring to a simmer, then place the skillet into the oven, uncovered (or feel free to continue cooking on the stove on low) until the chicken is cooked all the way through (160F), and the sauce thickens a bit – 10 to 15 minutes.
- Garnish with the crispy sage leaves.
- Serve with hazelnut green beans, 15-Minute broccoli, these mashed potatoes, or creamy polenta, etc.
Leftovers keep 4 days and reheat beautifully.
If you must leave out the wine- add a little dijon mustard to taste. 😉
- Serving Size: One breast with sauce and mushrooms
- Calories: 476
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 1376.9 mg
- Fat: 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 10.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.3 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 48.6 g
- Cholesterol: 160.9 mg
Keywords: Gorgonzola Chicken, Chicken with Gorgonzola Sauce