Creamy Gorgonzola Chicken with Mushrooms and Sage is flavorful, decadent, and perfect for special occasions like birthdays, anniversaries or Valentine’s day. The creamy gorgonzola sauce is dreamy and delicious.
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour (or GF flour)
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts (4-5 breasts), pounded to a similar thickness.
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil (or butter) divided
- 10 sage leaves (whole) plus 1 tablespoon chopped sage, (or sub thyme)
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce:
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Prep Chicken: In a small bowl or plate, mix salt, pepper and flour. Pound chicken to a similar thickness- 3/4 inch-1 inch. Coat all sides of the chicken with the salt and pepper mixture, using it all up.
- Make crispy sage: Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop whole sage leaves into the oil, turning over after 30 seconds, then place on a paper towel. Set aside.
- Saute Mushrooms: To the same pan, add mushrooms and sliced shallots, sauteeing until they release their liquid, then add chopped sage, and cook a few more minutes, until lightly caramelized. Set these aside.
- Sear Chicken: Add a little more oil to the same pan, and sear the chicken until both sides are beautifully golden (don’t worry about cooking through) just aim for beautifully golden. Feel free to increase the heat. Set the chicken aside with the mushrooms.
- Make the Gorgonzola Sauce: To the same pan, over medium heat add a little more oil or butter. Add the finely diced shallot and garlic. Saute until fragrant- about 4 minutes. Deglaze the pan with wine. Reduce by half, scraping up any browned bits. Once reduced, add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add the gorgonzola cheese, letting it melt and whisk until smooth. Add 1/4 -1/2 cup of cream or half and half. Season with salt and pepper.
- If you want more “tang” or “bite”, a little dijon mustard is nice here.
- Nestle the seared chicken into the sauce, surround and top with the mushrooms, spooning a little sauce over top and bring to a simmer, then place the skillet into the oven, uncovered (or feel free to continue cooking on the stove on low) until the chicken is cooked all the way through (160F), and the sauce thickens a bit – 10 to 15 minutes.
- Garnish with the crispy sage leaves.
- Serve with hazelnut green beans, 15-Minute broccoli, these mashed potatoes, or creamy polenta, etc.
Leftovers keep 4 days and reheat beautifully.
If you must leave out the wine- add a little dijon mustard to taste. 😉
- Serving Size: One breast with sauce and mushrooms
- Calories: 476
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 1376.9 mg
- Fat: 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 10.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.3 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 48.6 g
- Cholesterol: 160.9 mg
Keywords: Gorgonzola Chicken, Chicken with Gorgonzola Sauce