It really doesn’t get easier than this. Or healthier. Or tastier. Steamed Broccoli with Lemon zest, chili flakes and truffle oil. Simple, clean, ingredients that are incredibly addicting and good for you. It’s a very basic recipe, I hesitate even calling a “recipe”, but here it is anyways, because it really is one of the things we feast on at home, regularly.
The ethereal combination of lemon zest and truffle oil is one of my secret weapons as a chef. It completely transforms vegetables. If having guests over, you could fancy it up a bit, using broccolini or broccoli rabe, like we do when we cater events. But when at home, I usually stick with plain old broccoli. It’s less expensive and I always feel more satisfaction making something surprising and delicious out of the seemingly ordinary.
Steam the broccoli until it is fork tender. Steaming is quick and easy and requires less oil than roasting, making it healthier and faster! It takes 5 minutes, versus 45 minutes, and I actually like the taste better.
And the best part is, steaming preserves all of broccoli’s health benefits- like the ability to lower cholesterol, anti-inflammatory properties and its powerful detoxing qualities. Broccoli is really high in Vitamin C and A, and prevents colds and flu.
Studies at John Hopkins University show that broccoli is an incredible anti-oxidant, preventing cancer cells from growing- and actually reducing the size of existing tumors by 75 percent. It truly is a super food. In fact, it is one of the most nutrient-dense foods known. Perhaps this is why it is one of the top ten vegetables consumed in the States.
How to steam veggies:
- When steaming broccoli or any vegetable, make sure the water line lies below the veggies. When placing the steamer basket in the pot, the water should not come up over it.
- Place veggies that have been cut into roughly the same size in the basket, and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Cover, lower heat to medium low, and steam for roughly 5 minutes. Check to see if they are fork tender. and if so, they are done.
- Taking care to make sure your veggies or broccoli florets are roughly the same size will ensure even done-ness.
Sprinkle with a generous pinch of kosher salt.
Drizzle with a tiny bit a of truffle oil. Invest. It’s worth it. Trader Joe’s sells a bottle of truffle oil, for $4.99. It’s quite diluted in flavor, but actually works well for this recipe. If using a higher quality truffle oil, just use a little drizzle with a little drizzle olive oil.
Add fresh lemon zest ( don’t skip this- this makes it). Not the juice.
Sometimes I’ll chili flakes, but it really doesn’t need it.
Prepared like this, you will want to eat broccoli everyday. Seriously.
Steamed Broccoli with Lemon Zest and Truffle oil by Sylvia Fountaine, Feasting at Home Blog January-13-2013 Simple, healthy broccoli recipe, with amazing flavor.
- Tear or cut broccoli florets into roughly the same size pieces, to ensure even doneness.
- Pour one inch of water in a medium pot and place a steamer basket over top. Place broccoli in the basket and cover with a lid. Bring water to a boil. Lower heat to medium low, and simmer covered, until fork tender, about 5 minutes. Test with a fork.
- Place in a large bowl, sprinkle with a generous pinch of kosher salt, cracked pepper, lemon zest. Finish with a little drizzle of truffle oil. If you are using a good quality truffle oil you may not need very much and supplement with a little drizzle of olive oil. Gently toss and taste for salt, adding more if necessary.
- Serve immediately.
- Calories: 185
Keywords: vegan broccoli recipe, steamed broccoli, how to steam broccoli, vegan side dish, healthy broccoli recipes,