This recipe for Broccoli with Garlic, Lemon Zest and Chili flakes is our “go-to” broccoli recipe -simple, yet full of amazing flavor! Vegan, healthy can be made in 15 minutes! Updated 1/2022
- 4-6 cups Broccoli Florets (or broccolini) 8 ounces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or butter or ghee)
- 4–10 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- generous pinch chili flakes (Aleppo or Urfa Biber are nice here)
- zest of one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: truffle oil
- Tear or cut broccoli florets into small florets, roughly the same size to ensure even doneness.
- Pour 3/4-inch water in a medium pot and place a steamer basket over top. (Water should not cover the bottom of the basket). Place broccoli in the basket and cover with a lid. Bring water to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low, and simmer covered, until fork-tender, about 5 minutes. Test with a fork.
- While the broccoli is steaming, heat oil in a large skillet. Saute garlic over medium heat until fragrant, add chili flakes. When garlic is golden add lemon zest, give a stir and turn the heat off.
- Using tongs, add the steamed broccoli to the skillet, season generously with salt and pepper and give a gentle stir.
- Taste, adjust salt, pepper, chili flakes. Add a little more olive oil if you like, so broccoli is nicely coated.
- Serve and enjoy!
Feel free to add a drizzle of truffle oil, to elevate this!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 96
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Sodium: 324.6 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.3 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 2.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: best broccoli recipe, vegan broccoli recipe, steamed broccoli, how to steam broccoli, vegan side dish, healthy broccoli recipes,