This Creamy Broccoli Soup with Pesto is deeply nourishing, full of flavor, and made with simple ingredients in under 35 minutes. Gluten-free & Vegan-adaptable! Video.
The doors to the world of the wild Self are few but precious. If you have a deep scar, that is a door, if you have an old, old story, that is a door. If you love the sky and the water so much you almost cannot bear it, that is a door. If you yearn for a deeper life, a full life, a sane life, that is a door.―
Here is the simplest of soups- Creamy Broccoli Soup finished with a swirl of pesto. It’s very easy to make and comes together quickly- a delicious, nourishing meal in no time flat. What I like about this soup, is how the broccoli shines here- no added filler like potatoes! Broccoli stems give the soup its creaminess.
If feeling fancy, serve it up with parmesan crisps for a delicious crunchy texture. Or try this Vegan Cheesy Sprinkle!
Creamy Broccoli Pesto Soup Video
Ingredients in Creamy Broccoli Soup (vegan-adaptable!)
- broccoli– use whole broccoli, including the stems!
- olive oil (or butter, or ghee)
- onion– white or yellow
- garlic cloves
- veggie broth or chicken stock
- almond milk (or oat milk, cashew milk, whole milk or half and half)
- Fresh basil
- Salt & Pepper
- Pinch cayenne
- Yogurt or sour cream– or sub vegan yogurt or vegan sour cream, or a splash of heavy cream
- Pesto- purchase store-bought pesto, or make your own Homemade Pesto, or Arugula pesto
- Optional Garnish- Parmesan Crisps, sourdough croutons, Crusty Bread
How to make Creamy Broccoli Soup
Creamy Broccoli Soup can be made in under 35 minutes using store-bought pesto!
Thinly slice the stems- don’t waste these. They are full of nutrients and add creaminess to the soup. Break apart the tops into small florets.
Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until golden and fragrant.
Add the thinly cut broccoli stems and broth.
Bring to a simmer and cover for 3-4 minutes, allowing the stems to soften.
Add the broccoli florets, letting them rest on top to steam.
Cover, simmer until tender, about 5 minutes.
Simmer until the broccoli is fork-tender yet still vibrant green.
Add the almond milk and blend in 2 batches.
Add fresh basil.
Blend until smooth. If you’d like your soup a little greener, add a handful of spinach. (I did not add spinach here, only basil.)
Return the creamy broccoli soup to the dutch oven and whisk in the yogurt or sour cream, then gently warm.
Season with salt, pepper and cayenne, to taste.
Serve with a swirl of pesto and optional Parmesan crisps. Purple basil is pretty here too!
More recipes you may like:
- Thai Broccoli Soup with Coconut Milk
- Vegan Broccoli & Cheddar Soup
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Thyme and Sharp Cheddar
- Roasted Broccoli Salad
- 15-Minute Broccoli with Garlic & Lemon Zest
- If your soup lacks depth, try adding a little white miso paste (whisk 1-3 teaspoons with a little warm water) or a bouillon cube.
- Yogurt and sour cream will add a little tanginess, but if you want more, a few drops of lemon juice or AC vinegar is nice.
- If you want even more flavor, stir in a little pesto into the pot (or save it for the garnish).
- Add a small piece of Parmesan rind to the broth to impart depth and richness.
- Add a handful of fresh spinach to the blender to make the green more vibrant.
Enjoy the Soup!
This Creamy Broccoli Soup with Pesto is deeply nourishing, full of flavor, and made with simple ingredients in under 35 minutes. Gluten-free & Vegan-adaptable!
- 1 1/2 lbs broccoli, stems too!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or butter, or ghee)
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 4–6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 3 cups veggie broth or chicken stock, divided ( or use water and 2–3 teaspoons- Better than Boullion)
- 1 cup almond milk (or cashew milk, whole milk or half and half)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- Pinch cayenne (optional)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream (feel free to use vegan, or a splash of heavy cream), more to taste.
- Thinly slice the broccoli stems and break apart the florets into very small pieces. Chop the onion and garlic.
- In a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic with a pinch of salt, until golden and fragrant, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli stems, and pour in the stock or broth and bring to boil. Cover, lower heat, and simmer gently 3-4 minutes.
- Place the broccoli florets over the top. Don’t mix them in. Cover, and simmer gently, allowing the florets to steam, until fork-tender, about 5 minutes. You want them tender enough to blend but not overly cooked or you’ll lose that vibrant color.
- Turn the heat off. Blend in two batches (I found using a blender was better here, my immersion blender did not work as well) adding half of the almond milk to each batch, along with the basil. Blend until smooth. Add a handful of spinach for richer color if you like.
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in the yogurt or sour cream or even a splash of heavy cream. Gently warm the soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a swirl of pesto, crusty bread, or Parmesan crips. Enjoy!
If your soup lacks depth, see Expert Tips in the post above. 🙂
- Serving Size: 1 ½ cups with 1 tablespoon pesto
- Calories: 269
- Sugar: 8.6 g
- Sodium: 966.4 mg
- Fat: 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.5 g
- Fiber: 6.3 g
- Protein: 7.5 g
- Cholesterol: 8.5 mg
Keywords: Creamy broccoli soup, Cream of Broccoli soup, Broccoli soup recipe, Broccoli Pesto Soup