Thai Broccoli Soup with Coconut Milk – bursting with authentic Thai flavors. Make from scratch in 40 mins! Vegan & Gluten Free adaptable!
This vibrant, flavorful Thai Broccoli Soup wakes up the taste buds! Made with fresh lemongrass, ginger, chilies, shallots and lime – it has a delicious brightness we all could use in winter, taking us away to warm and far-off places.
It’s kept vegan with coconut milk rather than heavy cream or dairy. For a nice contrast in texture to the creamy soup try adding crispy shallots, Peanut Chili Crunch or toasted coconut right before serving.
It’s vegan adaptable (sans the fish sauce) and gluten-free. A warm bowl of sunny goodness on a cold winters day….just what the doctor ordered!
Fresh simple ingredients make up the base of this soup.
Thai Broccoli Soup Ingredients:
- jalapeno or serano
- coconut milk
The best part, it’s pretty simple to make! Just simmer and blend!
Finish the soup with lime zest, crispy shallots, or toasted coconut and of course fresh herbs. Chili flakes or threads are pretty here too.
A little catering tip:
In the recipe, I share how to get this soup really vibrant and green, by adding fresh spinach!
Ths color of this soup makes me happy.
I hope you enjoy this Thai Brocolli Soup. I’ve recently updated it, to make it a little more simple. Let me know what you think!Print
Thai Broccoli Soup with Coconut
A simple delicious recipe for Thai Broccoli Soup with Coconut Milk– bursting with authentic Thai flavors. Make from scratch in 40 mins! Vegan & Gluten-Free. | Updated 11/2019
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
- Category: Soup, vegan, gluten free, vegetarian soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 fat shallots, chopped
- 4–5 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger
- 1 medium-sized jalapeño pepper sliced ( ½ jalapeno for mild heat) seeds ok
- 1/4 cup chopped lemongrass
- 4 cups veggie or chicken broth or stock
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 kefir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 pound broccoli, chopped small ( slice tough or large stems small, to cook faster)
- 1 1/2 cups potato or sweet potato ( optional) diced, see notes.
- 1/2 -1 13-ounce can coconut milk (liquid and solids) saving a couple of tablespoons for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or alternative
- a handful of spinach (optional, to enhance color)
- ½ cup cilantro -tender stems OK (divided)
- 2–3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Optional: 1-2 teaspoons fish sauce (optional or vegan fish sauce, or add a little more salt to taste)
For a thicker soup, feel free to add 1- 1 1/2 cups of diced potato ( or sweet potato)- totally optional.
- Heat oil in a medium, heavy-bottom pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the shallots, saute 3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and jalapeno. Saute 3 more minutes until the shallot is tender. Add lemongrass, saute 1-2 more minutes.
- Add the veggie or chicken stock or broth, kefir lime leaves, salt and broccoli and bring to boil – it’s OK if the broccoli isn’t all submerged, it will still steam. SEE NOTES for potato.
- Bring this to a boil, cover, lower heat and gently simmer 10-12 minutes, or until broccoli is fork-tender.
- Once tender, turn the heat off, uncover. At this point, you could add a handful of optional spinach to give the soup a more vibrant green color. Add 1/4 cup cilantro (save the rest for garnish) and blend until very smooth using a submersion blender. Or cool and blend in batches using a regular blender (keeping in mind, blending a blender full of hot soup will explode! So either fill the blender only halfway full & place a kitchen towel on top of the lid and firmly hold the lid down while blending- or wait until it has cooled!
- Place the smooth blended soup back in the pot, over low heat.
- Stir in the coconut milk (solids and liquid) – you can start with half a can and add more to taste. Add sugar and stir until warmed through. Do not boil or you will lose the lovely color!
- Add lime juice, and optional fish sauce to taste, or add salt. Find the balance.
- Divide among bowls, garnish with any of the options above.
- For a thicker soup add 1- 1 1/2 cups diced sweet potato or potato ( simmer with broccoli). If adding the potato, you can cut back on the coconut milk if you like, to lighten things up.
- Crispy Shallots, Kefir lime leaves and Chili threads can all be found at Asian markets– and no, these are not essential, but add a nice touch. 🙂
Keywords: thai broccoli soup, broccoli soup, broccoli soup with coconut, broccoli soup recipes, vegan broccoli soup recipes, best broccoli soup recipe, thai soups vegan