Thai Broccoli Soup with Coconut Milk – bursting with authentic Thai flavors. Make from scratch in 40 mins! Vegan & Gluten Free adaptable!
This vibrant, flavorful Thai Broccoli Soup wakes up the taste buds! Made with fresh lemongrass, ginger, chilies, shallots and lime – it has a delicious brightness we all could use in winter, taking us away to warm and far-off places.
It’s kept vegan with coconut milk rather than heavy cream or dairy. For a nice contrast in texture to the creamy soup try adding crispy shallots, Peanut Chili Crunch or toasted coconut right before serving.
It’s vegan adaptable (sans the fish sauce) and gluten-free. A warm bowl of sunny goodness on a cold winters day….just what the doctor ordered!
Fresh simple ingredients make up the base of this soup.
Thai Broccoli Soup Ingredients:
The best part, it’s pretty simple to make! Just simmer and blend!
A little catering tip:
In the recipe, I share how to get this soup really vibrant and green, by adding fresh spinach!
Ths color of this soup makes me happy.
I hope you enjoy this Thai Brocolli Soup. I’ve recently updated it, to make it a little more simple. Let me know what you think!Print
A simple delicious recipe for Thai Broccoli Soup with Coconut Milk– bursting with authentic Thai flavors. Make from scratch in 40 mins! Vegan & Gluten-Free. | Updated 11/2019
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 fat shallots, chopped
- 4–5 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger
- 1 medium-sized jalapeño pepper sliced ( ½ jalapeno for mild heat) seeds ok
- 1/4 cup chopped lemongrass
- 4 cups veggie or chicken broth or stock
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 kefir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 pound broccoli, chopped small ( slice tough or large stems small, to cook faster)
- 1 1/2 cups potato or sweet potato ( optional) diced, see notes.
- 1/2 -1 13-ounce can coconut milk (liquid and solids) saving a couple of tablespoons for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or alternative
- a handful of spinach (optional, to enhance color)
- ½ cup cilantro -tender stems OK (divided)
- 2–3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
For a thicker soup, feel free to add 1- 1 1/2 cups of diced potato ( or sweet potato)- totally optional.
- Heat oil in a medium, heavy-bottom pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the shallots, saute 3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and jalapeno. Saute 3 more minutes until the shallot is tender. Add lemongrass, saute 1-2 more minutes.
- Add the veggie or chicken stock or broth, kefir lime leaves, salt and broccoli and bring to boil – it’s OK if the broccoli isn’t all submerged, it will still steam. SEE NOTES for potato.
- Bring this to a boil, cover, lower heat and gently simmer 10-12 minutes, or until broccoli is fork-tender.
- Once tender, turn the heat off, uncover. At this point, you could add a handful of optional spinach to give the soup a more vibrant green color. Add 1/4 cup cilantro (save the rest for garnish) and blend until very smooth using a submersion blender. Or cool and blend in batches using a regular blender (keeping in mind, blending a blender full of hot soup will explode! So either fill the blender only halfway full & place a kitchen towel on top of the lid and firmly hold the lid down while blending- or wait until it has cooled!
- Place the smooth blended soup back in the pot, over low heat.
- Stir in the coconut milk (solids and liquid) – you can start with half a can and add more to taste. Add sugar and stir until warmed through. Do not boil or you will lose the lovely color!
- Add lime juice, and optional fish sauce to taste, or add salt. Find the balance.
- Divide among bowls, garnish with any of the options above.
- For a thicker soup add 1- 1 1/2 cups diced sweet potato or potato ( simmer with broccoli). If adding the potato, you can cut back on the coconut milk if you like, to lighten things up.
- Crispy Shallots, Kefir lime leaves and Chili threads can all be found at Asian markets– and no, these are not essential, but add a nice touch. 🙂
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories: 437
- Sugar: 14.3 g
- Sodium: 394 mg
- Fat: 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 15.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.8 g
- Fiber: 7.9 g
- Protein: 9.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: thai broccoli soup, broccoli soup, broccoli soup with coconut, broccoli soup recipes, vegan broccoli soup recipes, best broccoli soup recipe, thai soups vegan