Spaghetti with Fresh Tomato Sauce – a simple, quick and healthy dinner recipe featuring fresh summer tomatoes that can be made in 20 mins flat! Vegan and GF adaptable!
I’m a little embarrassed to tell you how much I’ve been making this Spaghetti with Fresh Tomato Sauce lately. Like every single night this past week! Summer tomatoes are so juicy and flavorful right now, so tomato-ey, and I can’t get enough of them! This recipe really highlights them in a simple, flavorful way. It’s a meal that can be whipped up very quickly – like in 20 minutes flat, yet feels like a feast, somewhere on a Tuscan hillside. Great for busy weeknights, it’s a snap to make, kids love it and it is deeply nourishing.
Keep it light and vegan, embellishing with capers, chili flakes or kalamata olives, or add a little fresh grated Romano or salty cheese to add richness. And of course you can always use gluten-free pasta! Either way, I know you’ll love this.
The success of this recipe lies in the quality of the tomatoes. Fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes taste so good, they need little else to boost their inherent flavor. And guess what? It just happens to be tomato season here in the Northwest. Juicy, ripe and full of flavor, they are at their peak. Knowing they won’t be here too much longer, makes me want to eat them at every meal.
Set the pasta to boil.
Saute onion and garlic until fragrant and golden.
Add the fresh juicy ripe tomatoes, their seeds and juices, and a splash of vermouth or wine.
Add salt and pepper.
Simmer 5 minutes on medium heat.
Some people remove the seeds and skins, but I’ve found the seeds have so much flavor. The skins, well they don’t bother me, easily dissolving in the sauce.
In 5 minutes flat, the tomatoes will break down just a bit, and a look like this.
By this time the pasta will be cooked to al dente.
Drain the pasta and add it to the tomato sauce.
Continue cooking the pasta in the tomato sauce for just a few more minutes, letting it soak up the delicious flavor.
Then feel free to embellish a bit.
Add fresh basil, and capers or Kalamata olives if you want.
Dish it up and either keep it vegan or add some fresh grated Romano or Parmesan.
And that is it –it’s done!
Have a good week!
Spaghetti with Quick Fresh Tomato Sauce
Spaghetti with Fresh Tomato Sauce and Basil – a simple, quick and healthy recipe featuring fresh summer tomatoes that can be made in 20 mins flat!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2-4
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Italian
- 8 oz pasta (linguini, spaghetti or angel hair )
- ½ an onion- diced
- 8 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs juicy ripe tomatoes, rough chopped (about 6 cups chopped, save juices)
- ¼ cup splash vermouth, red wine or white wine
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 8- 10 basil leaves, torn
- fresh grated Romano cheese (or Parmesan)
- Optional additions: chili flakes, Kalamata olives or capers
- Set a big pot of salted water to boil on high to cook pasta.
- While pasta is cooking, make the sauce.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add chopped onions, saute 2-3 minutes, until tender. Turn heat to medium. Add rough chopped garlic. Saute a few minutes until garlic is fragrant and golden.
- Add chopped tomatoes and all their juices and seeds. Turn heat up to medium high.
- Add vermouth or wine.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer 5 minutes until tomatoes begin to break down.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Turn heat to low until pasta is cooked.
- When pasta is cooked to al dente, drain and add it to the fresh tomato sauce, continuing to cook pasta on low for a few minutes in the sauce. Add basil leaves.
- Divide among bowls and top with fresh grated Romano cheese
Keywords: fresh tomato sauce, pasta with fresh tomato sauce, homemade tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes, fresh tomato sauce recipe