This Creamy Pea Pasta is lathered up in the most delicious, luscious sauce made with fresh (or frozen) English peas and mint without a lick of dairy!
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.– Mark Twain
Hello spring pasta of my dreams! Happy little shells cradle a vibrant, creamy green sauce made up of peas and mint. Not only will this joyful little number make your tastebuds happy, but it’s also vegan and packed full of nutrients! No cream, no cheese, no dairy necessary.
Many of you shop at Trader Joe’s, and already know they offer up fresh shucked English peas each spring which are the perfect fit for this recipe. But know that frozen peas work great here too. Either way, you’ll love this, seriously!
To elevate, pick up some pea shoots at your local farmers’ market and wilt them into the warm pasta right at the end for a burst of color and nutrition.
Ingredients in Creamy Vegan Pea Pasta!
- fresh peas (or use frozen)
- pasta shells
- fresh mint
- hemp seeds
- miso paste
- pea shoots- optional!
Today we are using fresh shucked peas (from Trader Joes) but frozen peas will work too. You’ll need two cups.
Set your pasta to cook- medium-sized shells work beautifully here, but feel free to use what you have. I really love how the shells cradle the sauce. Orecchiette would work well too.
Make the Pea Pasta Sauce:
Start by sauteing the shallots and garlic until fragrant and golden.
Add your fresh peas and cover until steamed through. You want them tender but still vibrant! If using frozen peas, toss them in here and just let them warm up a bit so they are thawed.
Then you’ll scoop out 1 1/2 cups of this and place it in a blender to make the sauce, leaving the rest in the pan.
Add fresh mint. Use about 1/3 of a cup packed. If mint is not your favorite you could use half Italian parsley- but trust me here friends, the mint truly works. I think it makes the dish.
Add lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Then cover the blender tightly, holding down the lid with a towel if the peas are still warm.
Blend for a full minute until it is creamy and smooth. Look at how vibrant this is!
Add optional Pea Shoots:
If adding fresh pea shoots, gently wilt them in the pan with the remaining peas, just for a minute or so. You can scoop them off to a plate ( to garnish the pasta with at the end) or incorporate them right into the pasta.
Toss the Pea Pasta!
Pour in the drained pasta and the sauce. Give a good stir, and gently warm until heated through. Do not simmer too long or you may lose that gorgeous color you created!
At this point, if you want extra “richness” add a drizzle of olive oil, stirring it in.
I love how packed full of nutrients this pasta is!
Pea Pasta Additions:
And of course, you can add seeds, or microgreens or edible flowers to make this even prettier. I’ve been loving these scallion sprouts- so full of flavor!
This Pea Pasta recipe makes 2-3 portions and reheats well.
More recipes you might like:
- Spring Pea Pasta Salad
- Spring Pea Pesto
- Orecchiette with Creamy Carrot Miso Sauce
- Zesty Vegan Pasta with Cashew Alfredo Sauce
- Spring Pea and Potato Salad with tarragon -mustard seed dressing
- Spring Orecchiette Pasta with Asparagus, Mushroom and Peas
- Our 20 BEST Vegetarian Pasta Recipes! (Vegan-adaptable)
Enjoy the Creamy Vegan Pea Pasta and have a happy week friends,
This Creamy Vegan Pea Pasta is lathered up in the most delicious, luscious sauce made with fresh (or frozen) English peas and mint without a lick of dairy! Happy little shells cradle a vibrant, creamy green sauce made up of peas and mint.
6 ounces medium pasta shells (or sub orecchiette, elbows, etc.)
Creamy Vegan Pea Sauce:
- 2 shallots, finely chopped (or 1/2 cup onion)
- 4–6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 1/4 cup water, more as needed
- 1 lemon (lemon juice and zest for garnish)
- 1/3 cup fresh mint, packed (or substitute part flat-leaf parsley, but mint is so good!)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 3 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice plus some zest for garnish
- Make Pasta: Set generously salted water to boil for pasta, and cook pasta according to directions.
- Start sauce: At the same time, chop shallots and garlic. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute shallots and garlic for 4-5 minutes, stirring until golden and fragrant. Lower heat to low. Add peas and give a stir. If using fresh peas, cover with a lid so they gently steam, 3 minutes or until tender and bright. If using frozen, just saute until completely thawed and tender.
- Blend Minted Pea Sauce: Measure out 1 1/2 cups of the pea-shallot mixture (leave the rest in the pan) and place in a blender along with water, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, mint leaves, salt, pepper, miso paste, and hemp seeds (or use almond butter or tahini paste). Blend for a full minute until very very creamy and smooth. Add a little more water if needed to get the blender going. Set aside.
- Combine: To the skillet with the remaining pea-shallot mixture, add the pea shoots or spinach, and gently wilt, stirring for 30-60 seconds over low heat. (Either set these aside for garnish, or feel free to combine with pasta.) Add the drained pasta and pour in the sauce from the blender and give a good stir. Rinse out the blender with a couple of tablespoons of water, adding this to the pan, gently warming the pasta up.
- Taste. If needed, season with salt, lemon zest, and more pepper if you like. If you want a “looser sauce” feel free to stir in more water. For extra richness, store in a generous drizzle of olive oil or truffle oil.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with Vegan Cheesy Sprinkle or Pecorino cheese (obviously not vegan, but tasty). Top with microgreens or sprouts if you like, or seeds!
Leftovers keep 3-4 days in the fridge and will reheat nicely -feel free to stir in a little more water to loosen when reheating.
For added protein, feel free to top with a piece of salmon, shrimp, chicken or tofu.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup
- Calories: 486
- Sugar: 8.4 g
- Sodium: 685.8 mg
- Fat: 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 62.3 g
- Fiber: 7.4 g
- Protein: 16.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: pea pasta, pasta with peas, pasta with mint and peas, vegan pea pasta, spring pea pasta, pasta with pea shoots, vegan pea pasta, vegan pasta recipe