Here’s a simple recipe for Vegan Pasta for Two, with the most delicious Vegan Alfredo Sauce (made with cashews or hemp hearts), tossed with sauteed mushrooms, peas, Meyer lemon zest and a secret ingredient that gives this extra complexity and depth. Best part? It can be made in under 30 minutes! For extra awesomeness- try this with simple Smoked Mushrooms!
Hello friends! I can’t tell you how often this Vegan Alfredo Sauce has been a lifesaver in our catering business through the years. What I love about it is how easy it is to make (sauce =10 minutes) and how many ways you can use this and adapt this.
Here we’re serving it with a simple quick pasta, but its uses are endless. I use it interchangeably as a vegan “bechamel” – to use in vegan lasagnas, mousaka, as a sauce for baked shells or baked pasta, you get the idea.
One stipulation: If you don’t have a high powered blender, you’ll need to soak your cashews in water beforehand, or alternatively, you can substitute hemp hearts -also a great option for those with nut allergies!
The Vegan Alfredo Sauce gets its luscious “creaminess” from cashews (or hemp) and gets its flavor from sauteed onion and garlic.
But what gives this flavorful Vegan Alfredo Sauce it’s “depth”, is a little white miso paste. It’s so subtle, you can’t point it out in the finished sauce, but it just adds that little something that brings it up a notch.
Blend until creamy and smooth. Here I’m using a high-powered blender, so no need to soak the cashews.
In the meantime, you can be boiling your pasta. If adding other veggies like peas or even broccoli, just toss them in the pasta water for the last minute or two of cooking to quickly blanch.
Here we’ve also sauteed some mushrooms to add to the mix. To further elevate, drizzle with a little truffle oil.
Or try Smoked Mushrooms– which sound fussy but litereally take 15 minutes, and can be made on your stove top!
Add the drained pasta and Vegan Alfredo Sauce to a saute pan and gently warm.
Toss in half the mushrooms and leave a few for garnishing the top.
Sprinkle with a little cracked pepper and chili flakes.
Meyer Lemon zest is another way to bring this up a level.
Then divide among two bowls.
Sprinkle with fresh Italian parsley.
Serve with a tasty green salad.
And voila, Date Night Vegan Alfredo in under 30 minutes!
Happy Valentines Day,
Date Night Vegan Alfredo
Date night Vegan Alfredo for two, tossed in a delicious cashew (or hemp) cream, with sauteed mushrooms, Meyer lemon zest and a secret ingredient that gives this extra complexity, flavor and depth. Can be made in under 30 minutes! Try this with Smoked Mushrooms for extra WOW factor!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: vegan, pasta,
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: italian
Vegan Alfredo Sauce:
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 white onion
- 4 fat garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (or hemp seeds, see notes)
- 1 cup veggie broth (or 1 cup water and boulllion)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon white miso paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
5 ounces dry pasta, cooked to package directions
1 cup fresh peas (or frozen, or sub snow peas or steamed broccoli)
8 ounces mushrooms, sauteed, or try smoked mushrooms!
Garnish: pepper, chili flakes, lemon zest ( Meyer lemons are especially nice), Italian parsley.
- Cook Pasta: Set salted water to boil in a large pot and cook pasta according to directions. If using fresh or frozen peas, feel free to add to the pasta water, during the last minute of cooking.
- Make Alfredo Sauce: Heat oil over med low heat, and saute onion and garlic until tender and golden. Place it in a blender along with cashews, veggie broth, nutritional yeast, miso, salt, nutmeg. Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Saute or smoke the mushrooms. If sauteeing, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute 6-7 minutes, until golden and tender, seasoniong with salt.
- Combine: Drain the pasta, add to a large pan along with the alfredo sauce, toss, and gently warm over low heat. Add the mushrooms and toss to coat (leaving a few for the top for garnish if you like).
- Divide among two bowls.
- Garnish with lemon zest, pepper, chili flakes and chopped parsley.
Cashews- need to be soaked 4 hours ( in water) unless using a high powered blender. For nut allergies, hemp seeds are a good substitution.
I will post “How to Smoke Mushrooms” on your stovetop in a few days!
Keywords: vegan Alfredo, vegan Alfredo Sauce, vegan Alfredo Sauce cashews, vegan Alfredo Sauce hemp,