Vegan Mushroom Pasta with roasted sunchokes and a creamy vegan artichoke heart sauce (use canned or frozen artichoke hearts) that can be made in under 30 minutes! Delicious, healthy, nut-free and totally vegan.
This Vegan Mushroom Pasta with Roasted Sunchokes has the most surprisingly luscious sauce made with artichoke hearts and sage, and the whole thing comes together in about 30 minutes. The sauce makes use of jarred or frozen artichoke hearts, and can literally be made in 5 minutes flat, simply by blending up the ingredients in a blender.
Artichoke hearts have an inherent richness to them, and when harnessed, delight the palate. When blended or pureed, they turn into the most silky creamy sauce without butter or cream. It is a vegan sauce we used at our vegetarian restaurant, Mizuna, back in the day.
The best part, you probably have the ingredients for the artichoke sauce in your pantry!
When I first wrote this post, years ago, sunchokes were harder to find. But now thankfully, they seem to be everywhere! Especially at local farmers markets.
Roasted sunchokes give this vegan pasta a delicious flavor and heartiness! They loooooove to be paired with mushrooms and that’s why they are perfect in this dish.
Sunchokes, if unfamiliar are nutty, earthy and creamy, and taste a bit like artichoke hearts, but are totally unrelated. They are actually a tuber from a type of perennial sunflower.
If you’ve never tried them, here’s your chance to give them a shot. (And if you can’t track them down, that’s OK, just use extra mushrooms. ) When roasting, simply give them a good scrub ( no need to peel) and quarter them.
To roast sunchokes, simply toss the sunchokes with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in a 400 F oven until tender, about 20-25 minutes. They are delicious in bowls and salads too!
Then make the easy creamy vegan Artichoke Sage Sauce. You can use jarred artichoke hearts – either marinated or in water, or use frozen artichoke hearts.
Just blend up the artichoke hearts with the sage, garlic and a bit of water and seasonings until smooth and creamy. So easy! You’ll end up with a luscious decadent sauce!
Saute the mushrooms and cook the pasta and then combine it all together!
So easy and simple, and see how decadent this vegan Artichoke sauce is?
When the sunchokes are done roasting, they will be soft on the inside and crispy on the outside, adding a delicious heartiness to the vegan pasta dish.
Toss the vegan Artichoke sauce with the pasta and cook for just a minute or two, then add the mushrooms and the roasted sunchokes.
Such a delicious combination of flavors! Creamy Vegan Mushroom pasta with roasted artichokes….. and the most delicious, luscious artichoke sage sauce!
Keep this vegan or feel free to dust with Parmesan.
Have a beautiful weekend and I hope you love this Vegan Mushroom Pasta as mush as we do!
Vegan Mushroom Pasta with Roasted Sunchokes
Vegan Mushroom Pasta with roasted sunchokes and a creamy vegan artichoke heart sauce ( use canned or frozen artichoke hearts) that can be made in under 30 minutes! Delicious, healthy, nut-free and totally vegan.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 3-4 1x
- Category: Main, vegan, vegan main, pasta recipe
- Method: roasted
- Cuisine: Italian
- 8 ounces dry pasta- tagliatelle, fettuccine, linguine, spaghetti
- 8 ounces sunchokes ( optional- you can leave these out, or sub with more mushrooms)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms- cremini, shittake, porto’s, chanterelles
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Wash (or scrub if necessary) and pat dry sunchokes. Don’t bother peeling. Quarter them and toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a parchment linked baking sheet in the oven and roast for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Bring big pot of generously salted water to a boil ( for the pasta). Cook the pasta to al dente.
- While water is boiling, in a large skillet, saute the mushrooms over medium heat in a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Make the Artichoke Sauce: drain the artichoke hearts and place them in a blender (don’t use a food processor). Add the water, olive oil, sage, garlic, salt and pepper. Blend until creamy and very very smooth. Taste. If using frozen artichoke hearts or artichokes packed in water, add a little squeeze of lemon to taste. ( The marinated artichokes in oil, usually have a bit of vinegar or acid already.)
- Add the cooked, drained pasta ( do not rinse) to the cooked mushrooms in the saute pan. Toss with the artichoke sauce and heat up, gently stirring. Taste for salt, adding more if necessary. Add the roasted sunchokes and toss well.
- To garnish, you could drizzle a little truffle oil over top and dust some finely grated Parmesan.—or keep it vegan, up to you. Chili flakes are nice too. 😉
Keywords: roasted sunchokes, sunchoke pasta recipes, mushroom pasta recipes, vegan pasta, vegan pasta recipes, vegan mushroom pasta, artichoke sauce, vegan artichoke sauce, vegan pasta sauce, Jerusalem artichoke recipes,