Vegan Mushroom Pasta with roasted sunchokes and a creamy vegan artichoke heart sauce ( use canned or frozen artichoke hearts) that can be made in under 30 minutes! Delicious, healthy, nut-free and totally vegan.
- 6–8 ounces dry pasta- tagliatelle, fettuccine, linguine, spaghetti
- 8 ounces sunchokes (optional- you can leave these out, or sub with more mushrooms, or other roasted veggies)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms- cremini, shiitake, portobellos, chanterelles
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
Creamy Vegan Artichoke Sauce:
- 1 jar or can artichoke hearts in water (10–12 ounces … about 1 ½ cups) or use frozen
- 3/4 cup water or veggie broth
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 10 fresh sage leaves (or sub 1/4 cup Italian parsley, or fresh basil)
- 1–2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- lemon to taste (see notes)
- Garnishes- vegan cheesy sprinkle, or grated Pecorino, or truffle oil ( all optional)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Wash (or scrub if necessary) and pat dry sunchokes. Don’t bother peeling. Quarter them and toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet in the oven and roast for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Bring big pot of generously salted water to a boil (for the pasta). Cook the pasta to al dente.
- While water is boiling, in a large skillet, saute the mushrooms over medium heat in a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Make the Artichoke Sauce: drain the artichoke hearts and place them in a blender (don’t use a food processor, it will not get this sauce creamy enough!). Add water, olive oil, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper. Feel free to add a little more water to get the blender going. Blend until creamy and silky smooth. If the sauce seems “stringy” from the artichokes, you need to keep blending on high speed. Taste. You want this slightly salty and tangy. If using frozen artichoke hearts or artichokes packed in water, add a little squeeze of lemon to taste if you like. See notes.
- Add the cooked, drained pasta (do not rinse) to the cooked mushrooms in the saute pan. Toss with the artichoke sauce and heat up, gently stirring. Taste for salt, adding more if necessary. Add the roasted sunchokes and toss well.
- To garnish, you could drizzle a little truffle oil over top and dust some finely grated pecorino or parmesan. Or keep it vegan,with vegan cheesy sprinkle, up to you. Chili flakes are nice too. 😉
For added depth to the artichoke sauce, add a teaspoon of miso or nutritional yeast– totally optional.
Keywords: roasted sunchokes, sunchoke pasta recipes, mushroom pasta recipes, vegan pasta, vegan pasta recipes, vegan mushroom pasta, artichoke sauce, vegan artichoke sauce, vegan pasta sauce, Jerusalem artichoke recipes,