Date night Vegan Alfredo for two, tossed in a delicious cashew (or hemp) cream, with sauteed mushrooms, Meyer lemon zest and a secret ingredient that gives this extra complexity, flavor and depth. Can be made in under 30 minutes! Try this with Smoked Mushrooms for extra WOW factor!
Vegan Alfredo Sauce:
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 white onion
- 4 fat garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (or hemp seeds, see notes)
- 1 cup veggie broth (or 1 cup water and boulllion)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon white miso paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
5 ounces dry pasta, cooked to package directions
1 cup fresh peas (or frozen, or sub snow peas or steamed broccoli)
8 ounces mushrooms, sauteed, or try smoked mushrooms!
Garnish: pepper, chili flakes, lemon zest ( Meyer lemons are especially nice), Italian parsley.
- Cook Pasta: Set salted water to boil in a large pot and cook pasta according to directions. If using fresh or frozen peas, feel free to add to the pasta water, during the last minute of cooking.
- Make Alfredo Sauce: Heat oil over med low heat, and saute onion and garlic until tender and golden. Place it in a blender along with cashews, veggie broth, nutritional yeast, miso, salt, nutmeg. Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Saute or smoke the mushrooms. If sauteeing, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute 6-7 minutes, until golden and tender, seasoniong with salt.
- Combine: Drain the pasta, add to a large pan along with the alfredo sauce, toss, and gently warm over low heat. Add the mushrooms and toss to coat (leaving a few for the top for garnish if you like).
- Divide among two bowls.
- Garnish with lemon zest, pepper, chili flakes and chopped parsley.
Cashews- need to be soaked 4 hours ( in water) unless using a high powered blender. For nut allergies, hemp seeds are a good substitution.
I will post “How to Smoke Mushrooms” on your stovetop in a few days!
Keywords: vegan Alfredo, vegan Alfredo Sauce, vegan Alfredo Sauce cashews, vegan Alfredo Sauce hemp,