This Creamy Vegan Pea Pasta is lathered up in the most delicious, luscious sauce made with fresh (or frozen) English peas and mint without a lick of dairy! Happy little shells cradle a vibrant, creamy green sauce made up of peas and mint.
6 ounces medium pasta shells (or sub orecchiette, elbows, etc.)
Creamy Vegan Pea Sauce:
- 2 shallots, finely chopped (or 1/2 cup onion)
- 4–6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 1/4 cup water, more as needed
- 1 lemon (lemon juice and zest for garnish)
- 1/3 cup fresh mint, packed (or substitute part flat-leaf parsley, but mint is so good!)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 3 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice plus some zest for garnish
- Make Pasta: Set generously salted water to boil for pasta, and cook pasta according to directions.
- Start sauce: At the same time, chop shallots and garlic. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute shallots and garlic for 4-5 minutes, stirring until golden and fragrant. Lower heat to low. Add peas and give a stir. If using fresh peas, cover with a lid so they gently steam, 3 minutes or until tender and bright. If using frozen, just saute until completely thawed and tender.
- Blend Minted Pea Sauce: Measure out 1 1/2 cups of the pea-shallot mixture (leave the rest in the pan) and place in a blender along with water, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, mint leaves, salt, pepper, miso paste, and hemp seeds (or use almond butter or tahini paste). Blend for a full minute until very very creamy and smooth. Add a little more water if needed to get the blender going. Set aside.
- Combine: To the skillet with the remaining pea-shallot mixture, add the pea shoots or spinach, and gently wilt, stirring for 30-60 seconds over low heat. (Either set these aside for garnish, or feel free to combine with pasta.) Add the drained pasta and pour in the sauce from the blender and give a good stir. Rinse out the blender with a couple of tablespoons of water, adding this to the pan, gently warming the pasta up.
- Taste. If needed, season with salt, lemon zest, and more pepper if you like. If you want a “looser sauce” feel free to stir in more water. For extra richness, store in a generous drizzle of olive oil or truffle oil.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with Vegan Cheesy Sprinkle or Pecorino cheese (obviously not vegan, but tasty). Top with microgreens or sprouts if you like, or seeds!
Leftovers keep 3-4 days in the fridge and will reheat nicely -feel free to stir in a little more water to loosen when reheating.
For added protein, feel free to top with a piece of salmon, shrimp, chicken or tofu.
Keywords: pea pasta, pasta with peas, pasta with mint and peas, vegan pea pasta, spring pea pasta, pasta with pea shoots, vegan pea pasta, vegan pasta recipe