Spaghetti with Fresh Tomato Sauce and Basil – a simple, quick and healthy recipe featuring fresh summer tomatoes that can be made in 20 mins flat!
- 8 oz pasta (linguini, spaghetti or angel hair )
- ½ an onion- diced
- 8 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs juicy ripe tomatoes, rough chopped (about 6 cups chopped, save juices)
- ¼ cup splash vermouth, red wine or white wine
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 8– 10 basil leaves, torn
- fresh grated Romano cheese (or Parmesan)
- Optional additions: chili flakes, Kalamata olives or capers
- Set a big pot of salted water to boil on high to cook pasta.
- While pasta is cooking, make the sauce.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add chopped onions, saute 2-3 minutes, until tender. Turn heat to medium. Add rough chopped garlic. Saute a few minutes until garlic is fragrant and golden.
- Add chopped tomatoes and all their juices and seeds. Turn heat up to medium high.
- Add vermouth or wine.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer 5 minutes until tomatoes begin to break down.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Turn heat to low until pasta is cooked.
- When pasta is cooked to al dente, drain and add it to the fresh tomato sauce, continuing to cook pasta on low for a few minutes in the sauce. Add basil leaves.
- Divide among bowls and top with fresh grated Romano cheese
Keywords: fresh tomato sauce, pasta with fresh tomato sauce, homemade tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes, fresh tomato sauce recipe