Mashed Potatoes with Garlic – a lightened up, healthy version of mashed potatoes that is creamy, delicious and full of flavor! Vegan adaptable! (Original recipe: 11/2014, updated 11/2021)
- 3 lbs potatoes (thin-skinned – white, red or Yukon, scrubbed, skins on)
- ½–3/4 cup sour cream, more to taste (or use vegan substitute – Kite Hill’s Sour Cream is a good option.)
- 4 tablespoons butter (or vegan butter)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2–3 teaspoons granulated garlic (or use 10–20 whole roasted garlic cloves, mashed )
- 1–3 teaspoons prepared horseradish, or fresh grated to taste (optional)
- Garnish with chives, pepper (and more melted butter if you like)
- Cut potatoes in half (if bigger, quarter) and cover with an inch of water, in a large pot.
- Add 2 teaspoons salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on medium-low heat, about 20 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Drain, saving 1 cup of potato water.
- Place potatoes back in the pot (or slow cooker), mash well, then using the masher, whisk in the butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic option of choice, and optional horseradish.
- Add a little potato water to loosen, starting with 1/2 cup, adding more as needed. ( If keeping these warm for an extended period of time, add the full cup of water).
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
- Cover and keep warm in a 180F oven.
- When ready to serve, stir, sprinkle with pepper, chives and a drizzle of melted butter before serving.
Keywords: mashed potatoes, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, horseradish mashed potatoes, healthy mashed potatoes,vegan mashed potatoes