These Garlic Mashed Potatoes are simply heavenly! Creamy, flavorful and easy to make, they are the ultimate side dish to any meal! Easy enough for weeknight dinners, elegant enough for the holiday table.
- 3 lbs Yukon gold potatoes (or other thin-skinned potatoes, red potatoes, white potatoes, etc.)
- 8 ounces sour cream (or crème fraîche, creamy goat cheese, or vegan sour cream)
- 4 tablespoons butter (or vegan butter)
- 1–2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- Optional additions: 15-20 whole roasted garlic cloves, 1-3 teaspoons prepared horseradish, or fresh grated to taste (optional)
- Garnish with chives, pepper (and more melted butter if you like)
- Cut potatoes in half (or if bigger, quarter them).
- Place in a large pot, cover with 2 inches water, and add two teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, and lower heat to medium-low, simmering until fork-tender, roughly 15 minutes depending on size of the potatoes. Drain, *saving 1 cup of hot potato water. ( You can also use milk if you forget to save it).
- Place the drained potatoes back into the pot, add butter, sour cream, half the potato water, salt, pepper, and granulated garlic, and mash well, using a potato masher. Whisk the potatoes with the masher until light and fluffy. Add more hot potato water to loosen to your desired consistency (especially important if keeping these warm for an extended period of time, add the full cup of water).
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your liking. Add a little horseradish if you like, to taste. If adding whole roasted garlic cloves, mash half of them and whisk them in, saving some whole for garnish.
- When ready to serve, give a good stir, sprinkle with pepper, chives, and an optional drizzle of melted butter and roasted garlic cloves.
Vegan: add 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast for extra cheesy flavor.
For extra depth of flavor: a little grated pecorino or parmesan is nice too.
For garlic lovers: Add 1 clove raw, very finely minced garlic clove.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 252
- Sugar: 3.1 g
- Sodium: 485.2 mg
- Fat: 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.4 g
- Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 43 mg
Keywords: garlic mashed potatoes, creamy garlic mashed potatoes, vegan mashed potatoes, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, garlic mashed potatoes recipe, horseradish mashed potatoes, healthy mashed potatoes,vegan mashed potatoes