Baked Cod with Burst Tomatoes, Basil, Garlic and Lemon- a fast and easy weeknight dinner that is healthy and delicious! Keto and Gluten-free.
This recipe for Baked Cod with burst tomatoes, basil, garlic and lemon couldnt be any simpler! It takes about 10 minutes of prep before going in the oven to bake. So easy and it turns out super tasty every time.
What you will need:
- Cod (or substitue other white fish)
- olive oil
- cherry or grape tomatoes
- salt and pepper
What type of cod to use?
Look for Alaskan Cod, or True Cod or Atlantic Cod at least an inch thick, to ensure even cooking time with the tomatoes.
Frozen cod will also work, just make sure to thaw it first and pat dry.
What to substitute cod with?
Feel free to substitute other types of fish here too – salmon, haddock, black cod, sea bass, halibut, mahi-mahi – anything at least an inch thick.
How to make baked cod:
- Place tomatoes in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, add garlic and shallots and season with salt and pepper. Bake until tomatoes start to burst.
- Season the fish, nestle it into baking dish and continue baking. Add the zest and basil leaves.
- Serve with Black Rice Pilaf , or Everyday Quinoa, Creamy polenta, Smashed Potatoes or Mashed Potatoes
- Leftovers are great for up to 3 days!
Other recipes you may like:
- Forbidden Black Rice: Incredible Benefits
- Baked Cod with Asparagus, Lemon, Garlic & Thyme!
- Baked Zucchini with Garlicky Parmesan Breadcrumbs
- Crispy Herby Smashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Risotto!
- Instant Pot Polenta
- 20 Simple Healthy Fish & Seafood Recipes
- Fast and Healthy Weeknight Dinners
It is surprisingly good for how easy it is! Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Baked Cod with Tomatoes, Basil, Garlic and Lemon- a fast and easy weeknight dinner that is healthy and delicious!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, or sherry vinegar
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes ( mixed colors are nice here)
- 1 lemon – zest (set aside) and lemon slices
- 1– 1 1/4 lb cod fillets 4 -6 pieces ( thicker pieces work best here –1 inch thick or more) see notes
- salt, pepper and Aleppo chili flakes to taste
- 1/4 cup basil leaves torn
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Pour 3 tablespoons olive oil and vinegar into a 9 x13 inch baking dish. Scatter the shallots and garlic. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and lemon slices and toss. Roast 10 minutes. Give the tomatoes a good shake.
- While tomatoes are roasting, pat the fish dry and brush with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and Aleppo chili flakes. Nestle the fish in the baking dish, between the tomatoes.
- Lower heat to 400F.
- Bake the fish for 8-10 minutes then give the pan a good shake, jostling the tomatoes a bit. Scatter with lemon zest. Bake 3-4 more minutes or until fish is cooked through to your liking.
- When done, add the torn basil leaves, tossing them with the warm tomatoes with tongs so the basil wilts slightly. Then garnish each piece of fish with a few wilted basil leaves.
- Serve immediately!
- Leftovers taste great for up to 3 days.
Keywords: baked cod, simple baked cod, baked cod with tomatoes, baked cod recipes healthy, roasted cod, baked cod recipe, bake cod with tomatoes, baked cod recipes , bake cod