Poached Cod in Lemongrass Coconut Broth over Baby Spinach …a fragrant, low-carb, low-calorie meal that can be made in under 30 minutes.
I’m kinda in love with this dish! I’ve had it 3 times in the last week, getting it just right for you. Poached Cod in Lemongrass Broth over a huge mound of baby spinach. A simple, fast, affordable, low carb, low-calorie dinner that is actually….delicious! You’ve been asking for more of these….so here you go! The aromatic lemongrass broth has just a hint of coconut milk, keeping it light and lean (under 300 calories). Once the broth is made, slip the fish in it and poach for just a few minutes. Place the fish over a huge bowl of baby spinach, then ladle the flavorful both overtop which will gently wilt the spinach. So we are clear here….this is meant to be soup-like, rather than a “saucy”. Cod “swimming” in broth with a lot of spinach. Crunchy radishes are added for a bit of texture and if you want, a few basil leaves. The best thing is …. you can make this in under 30 minutes!
For heat, add a few slices of fresh chilies or chili flakes or chili threads to the bowl, taking care to never add fresh chilies to the broth while it is cooking- it will make it way too spicy.
The flavorful base is made with shallot ( much more flavorful than onion), lemongrass, ginger and garlic.
Saute in a little coconut oil, until fragrant and golden.
Add the coconut milk, only about ⅓ cup ( to keep this light) and season it with salt, lime and a little fish sauce. If you have kefir lime leaves or galanga on hand they would be a nice addition, but really not imperative.
Slip the fish right into the broth for a couple of minutes to cook and infuse it with beautiful flavor.
Place mounds of baby spinach in a bowl.
Place the fish overtop, then ladle with the delicious broth, wilting the spinach.
Garnish with chilies or chili threads ( or chili flakes), crunchy radish, scallions and a few basil leaves if you want.
Squeeze with lime.
If cooking for one, save the flavorful broth for tomorrow- you will want it.
Happy week friends!
A light and flavorful main dish featuring Poached Cod in a fragrant Lemongrass Broth over a bed of baby spinach.
- 6– 8 ounces white fish ( True Cod, black cod, halibut, sea bass- I used True Cod in the photos)
- 1–2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 shallot- finely chopped ( Shallot vs. onion, makes for a more flavorful broth)
- 2–3 garlic cloves- rough chopped
- ¼ cup tablespoons finely chopped lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 4 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- ⅓ –½ cup coconut milk
- 1 lime- lime juice to taste, start with half a lime, taste, adjust.
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- Optional additions- shittake mushrooms, radish, thai basil, bean sprouts, jalapeno slices, cripsy shallots. Add kefir lime leaves or galanga to the broth for extra flavor.
Notes- do no cook chilies in the broth, it will get too spicy. Simple add to individual bowls at the end.
Shallot (vs onion) gives this the best flavor.
- Cut fish into 2 pieces and season with a little salt and pepper, set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium-large sauce pan or pot, over medium heat.
- Add shallots, garlic, ginger and 3 tablespoons finely chopped lemongrass.
- Saute, stirring often, until fragrant and golden, about 4- 5 minutes. Add water, salt and fish sauce. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes to allow flavor to develop. Add coconut milk ( both solids and water), and a generous squeeze of lime. ( you could make this ahead & refrigerate at this point)
- Gently, place fish in the simmering broth, spooning the fragrant liquid over the fish. Simmer for just a few minutes ( 3 minutes) taking care not to overcook.
- Place a generous mound of baby spinach in two bowls. Carefully lift out the fish from the broth and place over the bed of spinach. Using a ladle, divide the broth between the two bowls. Top with shredded or sliced radish, sliced jalpeno or red chilies ( for heat).