A light and flavorful main dish featuring Poached Cod in a fragrant Lemongrass Broth over a bed of baby spinach.
- 6– 8 ounces white fish ( True Cod, black cod, halibut, sea bass- I used True Cod in the photos)
- 1–2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 shallot- finely chopped ( Shallot vs. onion, makes for a more flavorful broth)
- 2–3 garlic cloves- rough chopped
- ¼ cup tablespoons finely chopped lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 4 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- ⅓ –½ cup coconut milk
- 1 lime- lime juice to taste, start with half a lime, taste, adjust.
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- Optional additions- shittake mushrooms, radish, thai basil, bean sprouts, jalapeno slices, cripsy shallots. Add kefir lime leaves or galanga to the broth for extra flavor.
Notes- do no cook chilies in the broth, it will get too spicy. Simple add to individual bowls at the end.
Shallot (vs onion) gives this the best flavor.
- Cut fish into 2 pieces and season with a little salt and pepper, set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium-large sauce pan or pot, over medium heat.
- Add shallots, garlic, ginger and 3 tablespoons finely chopped lemongrass.
- Saute, stirring often, until fragrant and golden, about 4- 5 minutes. Add water, salt and fish sauce. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes to allow flavor to develop. Add coconut milk ( both solids and water), and a generous squeeze of lime. ( you could make this ahead & refrigerate at this point)
- Gently, place fish in the simmering broth, spooning the fragrant liquid over the fish. Simmer for just a few minutes ( 3 minutes) taking care not to overcook.
- Place a generous mound of baby spinach in two bowls. Carefully lift out the fish from the broth and place over the bed of spinach. Using a ladle, divide the broth between the two bowls. Top with shredded or sliced radish, sliced jalpeno or red chilies ( for heat).