Baked Cod with Tomatoes, Basil, Garlic and Lemon- a fast and easy weeknight dinner that is healthy and delicious!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, or sherry vinegar
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes ( mixed colors are nice here)
- 1 lemon – zest (set aside) and lemon slices
- 1– 1 1/4 lb cod fillets 4 -6 pieces ( thicker pieces work best here -1 inch thick or more) see notes
- salt, pepper and Aleppo chili flakes to taste
- 1/4 cup basil leaves torn
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Pour 3 tablespoons olive oil and vinegar into a 9 x13 inch baking dish. Scatter the shallots and garlic. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and lemon slices and toss. Roast 10 minutes. Give the tomatoes a good shake.
- While tomatoes are roasting, pat the fish dry and brush with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and Aleppo chili flakes. Nestle the fish in the baking dish, between the tomatoes.
- Lower heat to 400F.
- Bake the fish for 8-10 minutes then give the pan a good shake, jostling the tomatoes a bit. Scatter with lemon zest. Bake 3-4 more minutes or until fish is cooked through to your liking.
- When done, add the torn basil leaves, tossing them with the warm tomatoes with tongs so the basil wilts slightly. Then garnish each piece of fish with a few wilted basil leaves.
- Serve immediately!
- Leftovers taste great for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 227
- Sugar: 2.5 g
- Sodium: 372.2 mg
- Fat: 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.5 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 26.2 g
- Cholesterol: 60.9 mg
Keywords: baked cod, simple baked cod, baked cod with tomatoes, baked cod recipes healthy, roasted cod, baked cod recipe, bake cod with tomatoes, baked cod recipes , bake cod