Sauteed Greens -a quick simple side dish using your favorite greens (kale, chard, collard greens) and full of nutrients and flavor! A healthy, low carb, vegan side dish that can be made in 25 mins. Serve with your favorite protein- fish, chicken, tofu, or even over toast, topped with a poached egg.
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 bunch chard (or you can use any combination of most greens such as collard greens, mustard greens, broccoli rabe to equal one pound)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes ( or aleppo)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Trim the stalks and ribs from the greens, if they are more then ¼ inch thick. Chop the stalks and ribs into ¼ inch slices.
- Put the chopped stalks in a large sauté pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté about 5 minutes on medium heat stirring every now and then while you prep the remaining ingredients. When tender remove from pan and set aside.
- Cut the destemmed greens into ¼ to ½ inch ribbons.
- Add remaining olive oil to the pan over medium high, add chopped shallots. Sauté 3 minutes, add garlic and red pepper flakes stirring for a minute or so. Then add the greens and turn the heat to medium low. Give it a stir every few minutes for about 8-10 minutes.
- When the greens are wilted and tender add the sautéed stems stirring a minute to rewarm, turn heat off and add lemon zest, salt and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust flavor if desired.
Leftovers can be reheated and served the next day- and delicious under a poached egg for breakfast!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 265
- Sugar: 3.1 g
- Sodium: 164.9 mg
- Fat: 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.5 g
- Fiber: 5.1 g
- Protein: 9.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: sautéed greens, sautéed kale, how to cook kale, how to saute greens, wilted greens, wilted kale, braised kale, vegan side dish