This vegan Lentil Wrap with Spicy Tahini Sauce is packed full of fresh healthy ingredients, perfect for a quick easy lunch on the go. If going gluten-free, opt for a gluten-free brown rice tortillas or turn the whole thing into a hearty salad, served over a bed of greens or quinoa. The sriracha-spiked tahini sauce will make all the healthy crunchy veggies beyond palatable.
Add avocado and sunflower seeds for extra heft. Lentils can be cooked ahead and refrigerated (or try sprouting them) along with all the prepped veggies. Then right before work, roll them up with the spicy tahini sauce served on the side. The lentil wrap will stay fresh, crunchy and delicious. Best of all, these are fully customizable, so personalize them by using whatever veggies you like– and if lentils are not your thing, sub chickpeas or black beans. The secret here, is in the sauce. Enjoy clean, healthy protein and energy all day.
For a fun healthy twist…lentils can also be sprouted and eaten raw for added nutrients. Or cook up a batch of tiny black caviar lentils…in 20 minutes flat.
I’m a huge fan of these locally grown Palouse lentils… by Pacific Northwest Farmers Co-op. Look for them locally in the bulk section of your grocery store. We also sell them online at our Bowl and Pitcher Store.
An interesting tip about avocados….you can freeze them whole, when they are perfectly ripe, and then thaw them in the fridge when ready to use, and they will still be perfectly ripe. Once you cut into an avocado that has been frozen, make sure to use it right away… it will start to brown a little more quickly than normal. It’s great way to preserve avocados!
Creamy Tahini Sauce gets a little kick with sriracha sauce.
A little tip about tortillas: Make sure to lightly toast or warm the tortilla…it makes them much more soft and pliable, becoming much easier to roll, and removes some of the bitterness. The easiest way is right over your gas burner, over medium flame. Just place one directly on the burner grate, flipping and turning for 30 seconds or so…. or lightly toast in a toaster oven. But be careful…don’t over toast, or it will become tough and then harder to roll. Just toast enough to warm it and make it pliable.
Also, be sure to drain the lentils very well before seasoning.
Spicy Lentil Tahini Wrap
A healthy spicy lentil wrap with tahini sauce, fresh veggies that is both vegan and gluten free.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Lunch recipe
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- 2 Tablespoons tahini paste
- 3 Tablespoons warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1–2 garlic cloves finely minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 1 ½ Cups shredded cabbage
- 1 ½ Cups shredded carrots
- 3 C chopped cilantro and scallions
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sunflower ( or pumpkin seeds) – optional
- ½ Sliced avocado ( optional)
- 4 x 12 inch tortillas, warmed
- Cook lentils in a pot of water until cooked al-dente. Drain well and season with cumin, coriander olive oil and salt to taste.
- While lentils are cooking, make tahini sauce. In a small bowl, using a fork or tiny whisk, mix tahini paste, warm water, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt pepper, and sriracha sauce, until creamy.
- Prep all veggies.
- When ready to make wraps, heat tortillas over a gas stove top, set to medium, flipping and turning frequently until tortillas are warm and pliable, or toast in a toaster oven. Do not over toast, or they will become tough and hard to roll. Dived lentils, cilantro, scallions, and veggies and roll up like a small burrito, Cut in half at a diagonal. Serve with the spicy tahini sauce on the side, spooning it in as you eat.
- Serving Size: 1 wrap
- Calories: 381
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Sodium: 387 mg
- Fat: 13.9 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2.1
- Carbohydrates: 43.5
- Fiber: 12.1
- Protein: 18.4
- Cholesterol: 0