This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Having a dinner party or need a date night recipe? This Seared Ahi with Cumin Fennel Seed Crust – served over Moroccan lentils with Roasted Moroccan baby carrots, fresh herbs and yogurt drizzle – is so delicious! You will loooooooove it!
Happy weekend! Here’s a simple, delicious recipe for Seared Ahi Tuna with a cumin-fennel seed crust, served over Moroccan spiced lentils – which pairs deliciously with the Sweet and Spicy Roasted Moroccan Carrots in my previous post.
We’ve served this up numerous times in our catering business with happy results. It’s perfect for a date night dinner or a plated dinner party.
TIP: The secret to searing ahi tuna, is getting the skillet hot hot hot before you start, then searing all sides quickly and evenly, searing the crust until golden but keeping the inside rare. It only takes a few minutes! Then slice and serve. Beautiful and easy.
In Ayurvedic medicine, fennel seeds and cumin seeds make up two of the three healing spices that aid digestion, coriander being the third, which I put in the lentils. Healing aside, I love this combination of flavors and I think you will too! Anyways I hope you enjoy this Seared Ahi Tuna with Cumin Fennel Seed Crust…. its so tasty served over Moroccan seasoned lentils and the Moroccan Roasted Carrots. Give it a whirl and please let me know how you like it in the comments below!
For more tasty healthy Seafood Recipes…. make sure to check these out!Print
Seared Ahi Tuna with a Cumin Fennel Seed Crust, over Moroccan lentils with roasted baby carrots, fresh herbs and a yogurt drizzle .
- 8–10 ounces Ahi tuna ( 2 x 4-5 ounce pieces or equivalent)
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 2–3 tablespoons oil ( olive, coconut)
- 1 cup black lentils – beluga or black caviar
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- squeeze of lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped italian parsley, dill or cilantro
- drizzle plain yogurt- optional
- Set lentils to boil with water, salt and spices in a medium pot. Once boiling, cover and simmer on low heat until cooked through about 20-25 minutes. Uncover and let any extra liquid reduce for a few minutes. Drizzle with olive oil. Adjust salt and add a squeeze of lemon.
- Mix ahi spices together in a wide shallow bowl. Cut ahi no thinner than one inch thick at thinest point. Heat a generous amount of oil in a cast iron skillet, over medium high heat.
- Coat all sides of the ahi in the spice mix.
- When pan is smoking ( you wan the oil to be very hot), very carefully, slowing lay the Ahi in the hot oil. Using a splatter guard, protect yourself from popping seeds. You can also use a lid, but make sure to leave it partially open ( you don’t want ahi to steam or over cook)
- Sear each side about 1 -2 minutes or until golden. You want the edges seared just until golden and crispy, but the middle cooked rare. Set aside and slice.
- Plate the lentils, drizzle with plain yogurt and top with the Moroccan Roasted Carrots and Ahi.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs.
Remember the key to getting a crispy crust on the Ahi- is to get the pan really nice and hot. Smoking hot!
- Calories: 450
Keywords: seared ahi, cumin crusted ahi, ahi recipes, searing ahi, how to sear ahi tuna, seared ahi tuna , seared ahi tuna recipes