Seared Ahi Tuna with Cumin-Fennel Seed Crust – served over Moroccan seasoned lentils with Moroccan baby carrots, fresh herbs and yogurt drizzle.
Happy weekend! Here’s a simple delicious recipe for Seared Ahi Tuna, with a cumin and fennel seed crust, served over Moroccan spiced lentils – which pairs deliciously with the Sweet and Spicy Roasted Moroccan Carrots in the previous post. In Ayurvedic medicine, fennel seeds and cumin seeds make up two of the three healing spices that aid digestion, coriander being the third, which I actually put in the lentils. Healing aside, I love this combination for its flavor. I think you will too!
The secret to searing ahi tuna, is getting the skillet hot hot hot before you start, then searing all sides quickly and evenly. It only takes a few minutes which is perfect for weeknight meals.
Oh and by the way…. we are in Bali! We’ve been here for a couple weeks soaking up the local food, culture and sunshine and I’m beyond excited to bring back lots of food inspiration for you! You can see some our food and travel pictures on Instagram but the most exciting thing that has happened is that we ventured into the deep blue underworld. We learned how to dive!
Believe me when I tell you I didn’t think I would be able get my head around all that gadgetry, but miracles happen. The feeling of weightlessness in that quiet blue expanse is a feeling I will never forget.
Anyways I hope you enjoy this Seared Ahi Tuna with Cumin-Fennel Seed Crust…. its so tasty served over Moroccan seasoned lentils and the Moroccan Carrots. Give it a whirl!Print
Seared Ahi over Moroccan Lentils with Spicy Roasted Carrots
Seared Ahi Tuna with a Cumin Fennel Seed Crust, over spicy seasoned Moroccan lentils with roasted baby carrots, fresh herbs and yogurt drizzle .
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Main, fish, gluten-free
- Method: Seared
- Cuisine: Moroccan
- 8–10 ounces Ahi tuna ( 2 x 4–5 ounce pieces or equivalent)
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- 2–3 tablespoons oil ( olive, coconut)
Spicy Seasoned Lentils
- 1 cup black lentils – beluga or black caviar
- 3 cups water
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- squeeze of lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped italian parsley, dill or cilantro
- drizzle plain yogurt- optional
- Set lentils to boil with water, salt and spices in a medium pot. Once boiling, cover and simmer on low heat until cooked through about 20-25 minutes. Uncover and let any extra liquid reduce for a few minutes. Drizzle with olive oil. Adjust salt and add a squeeze of lemon.
- Mix ahi spices together in a wide shallow bowl. Cut ahi no thinner than one inch thick at thinest point. Heat a generous amount of oil in a cast iron skillet, over medium high heat.
- Coat all sides of the ahi in the spice mix.
- When pan is smoking ( you wan the oil to be very hot), carefully, slowing lay ahi in the hot oil. Using a splatter guard, protect yourself from popping seeds. You can also use a lid, but make sure to leave it partially open ( you don’t want ahi to steam or over cook) Sear each side about 1 -1 ½ minutes or until golden. You want the edges seared just until golden and crispy, but the middle cooked rare.
- Plate the lentils, drizzle with plain yogurt and top with Moroccan Roasted Carrots and Ahi.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs.
Keywords: seared ahi, cumin crusted ahi, ahi recipes, searing ahi, how to sear ahi tuna, seared ahi tuna , seared ahi tuna recipes