To serve over lentils, scroll down to the notes in the recipe for a simple lentil recipe.Print
Roasted Moroccan Carrots
A simple recipe for Roasted Moroccan Carrots- served as a side dish or over lentils for a Moroccan inspired vegetarian Bowl. From America’s Test Kitchen- Complete Mediterranean Cookbook.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 3- 4
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: Moroccan
- 1 ½ lbs whole carrots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoons Aleppo chili pepper ( or chili flakes)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro ( or Italian parsley)
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Peel the carrots, then cut into 3-4 inch pieces. Cut in half length wise, and quarter the thicker pieces so all are relatively the same thickness ( no bigger than ½ inch thick).
- In a small bowl mix oil, sugar, salt and pepper. The brown sugar will help the carrots caramelize. Toss this with the carrots and spread out in a single layer on a foil lined sheet pan. Cover with foil and place in the hot oven for 12 minutes. Uncover and continue roasting 16-22 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Whisk the orange juice, aleppo chili pepper, cumin and cinnamon.
- Toss with dressing with the roasted carrots and garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Notes: To serve over Simple Seasoned Lentils – Cook 1 cup lentils with 3 cups water, 1 teaspoon granulated garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon coriander (or cumin). Bring to a boil. Cover, simmer on low until tender, 25-35 minutes ( depending on lentil size). When tender, uncover, if need be, reduce liquid by turing heat up, then drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon. Serve carrots over a bed of lentils, drizzle with plain yogurt and fresh herbs.