A simple recipe for Moroccan Roasted Carrots- served as a side dish or over lentils for a Moroccan-inspired vegetarian Bowl. From America’s Test Kitchen- Complete Mediterranean Cookbook.
- 1 1/2 lbs whole carrots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo chili pepper ( or sub chili flakes or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro ( or Italian parsley)
- orange zest
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Scrub or peel the carrots then cut into 3-4 inch pieces. Cut in half length-wise, and quarter the thicker pieces so all are relatively the same thickness ( no bigger than ½ inch thick).
- In a small bowl mix oil, sugar, salt and pepper. The brown sugar will help the carrots caramelize. Toss this with the carrots and spread out in a single layer on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring the carrots halfway through. Carrots should be tender and slightly caramelized.
- Whisk the orange juice, aleppo chili pepper, cumin and cinnamon.
- Toss with dressing with the roasted carrots and garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley and orange zest.
- To serve over Simple Seasoned Lentils – Cook 1 cup lentils with 3 cups water, 1 teaspoon granulated garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon coriander (or cumin).
- Bring to a boil. Cover, simmer on low until tender, 25-35 minutes ( depending on lentil size). When tender, uncover if need be, reduce liquid by turning heat up, then drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.
- Serve carrots over a bed of lentils, drizzle with plain yogurt and fresh herbs.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 143
- Sugar: 10.9 g
- Sodium: 409.3 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.6 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: moroccan carrots, roasted carrots, moroccan roasted carrots, how to roast carrots, vegan side dish,